Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slow down on bird feeders

Options
  • 15-03-2016 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

I have noticed a big drop in the birds visiting my feeders of late and I wonder are they off selecting mates and nest site hunting?

Siskins were very plentiful in particular, is it maybe that winter migrants have set off home?
    As an aside my Wife showed my pictures to her workmates and they were incredulous that they were taken in Ireland!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mine is the exact opposite.

They are going through nuts and seed like there's no tomorrow. I can't keep up with them.

All the local breeders - Blue, Great, and Coal Tits, House Sparrows, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Robin, Dunnock etc are voracious right now in preparation for breeding. While rearing young they will be empting the feeders daily.

This will continue here until late July at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I'd better get a big sack of peanuts then! I get through a 5kg bag in a week as it is. There's about 30 birds out back right now, has topped 50 though quite regularly.

thinking about it, I think it's due to the birds being wary of the increased Rook activity, they are nesting nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I think there has been a big drop all winter. Mainly because the weather was mild enough so other food was more plentiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I too notice a drop from now on as birds pair up and get more territorial. This lasts until late summer when new broods and adults start visiting again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Also, they might not need to rely on feeders as much now that the weather is getting warmer and the days longer. More time to forage for natural food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Definite drop off in business here in North Mayo too. Mainly Chaffinch and Blackbirds now, occasional Tits but the Gold Finches have gone as has most of the Siskin. Bleeding Magpie's are here though so the bird table is now not used.

Lots of activity in the lanes and fields, the Field Fare are gathering in large flocks so will be gone soon I suspect. Loving the calls in the early morning, especially the Thrush.

TT

yes, I have wall to wall Jackdaws and I've moved most of my feeders to hang off the conservatory....the Jackdaws don't seem to go near them there.

Advertisement