Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accord v Mazda 6

Options
  • 15-03-2016 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, have 2 cars in mind for my next purchase.
    Reliabilty and maintanence costs are probably top of my priorities.

Any advice or opinions would be great.

Honda Accord. 2.2D. 2012. 70k miles. E19k (mint condition)

Mazda 6. 2.2D. 2014. 60k miles. E22k.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Soulcrew09 wrote: »

Thanks!!!
    If reliability is a priority then the Honda i-DTEC is the one to go for in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,218 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

One thing to watch on the Accord is if it has a sunroof to check for rust on the inside where is slides, it's a known issue and in some cases the corrosion is severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Doesn't the DPF go (clog/fail) in a fair few Mazda 2.2s of that vintage?

In my previous life I would often be asked for the DPF from the car for breaking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Soulcrew09 wrote: »

Thanks!!!

As much as I love the looks of all Mazdas, I've heard a lot of bad stories about them. And a lot of solid performance from Honda's 2.2D ...

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Thanks for the feedback.
    leaning toward the Accord so far, have not heard anything really bad about them.

Would be needing something low maintanence for the next couple of years so hence my choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Accord would definitely be the least risky of those two when it comes to reliability. Not the most fuel efficient though compared to others in it's class.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not the most fuel efficient though compared to others in it's class.

Ya its not the greatest tbf, i am coming from a 2006 A3 petrol though so its better than what im used to.

That said iv just seen a petrol 1.6 Merc c180 with simular mpg and better bhp than the accord.

Not easy ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hof1982

Hi Soulcrew,

I said I would share my experience of my Accord. I bought an 09 ESGT about 18 months ago and overall am very happy with it. The main points based on my experience;
    - very reliable
    - fuel economy solid but not spectacular, I do a lot of motorway driving and can typically get high 40's MPG, with low to mid 40's being typical for more mixed driving, as Bazz pointed out there will be better performers in this class.
    - extremely comfortable and very well specced inside with loads of extras

Things to look out for;
    - parts can be expensive
    - if looking at UK cars then keep an eye out for rust as previous posters have pointed out

I don't know a lot about the Mazda 6, but my cousin bought a 2.2D sport less than a year ago and he has had plenty of trouble from the car already.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

hof1982 wrote: »
    Hi Soulcrew,

I said I would share my experience of my Accord. I bought an 09 ESGT about 18 months ago and overall am very happy with it. The main points based on my experience;
    - very reliable
    - fuel economy solid but not spectacular, I do a lot of motorway driving and can typically get high 40's MPG, with low to mid 40's being typical for more mixed driving, as Bazz pointed out there will be better performers in this class.
    - extremely comfortable and very well specced inside with loads of extras

Things to look out for;
    - parts can be expensive
    - if looking at UK cars then keep an eye out for rust as previous posters have pointed out

I don't know a lot about the Mazda 6, but my cousin bought a 2.2D sport less than a year ago and he has had plenty of trouble from the car already.

Hope this helps.

What spec is the accord?

What spec is the accord?

Hi Mick,

It's an 2.2D ESGT with satnav, reversing camera and all the other usual spec on the accord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

hof1982 wrote: »
    Hi Mick,

It's an 2.2D ESGT with satnav, reversing camera and all the other usual spec on the accord.

Sounds like a UK import?
    I had an Irish ex for 12 months 09 and was lovely car to drive. 40s for mpg and 380 for tax but otherwise spot on..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The DPF in the N22A2 really kills the MPG, the N22A1 in the earlier engines is a lot more economical. I am getting 47 in mine now and I expect improvements as I get around to sorting a few things.

Sounds like a UK import?
    I had an Irish ex for 12 months 09 and was lovely car to drive. 40s for mpg and 380 for tax but otherwise spot on..

Yes it was originally a UK car, had a FSH intact. I was going to change a couple of months ago but changed my mind as its giving me no trouble.

Advertisement