Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An apology and some info

Options
  • 14-03-2016 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

First I want to say sorry. Sorry to Das Kitty and to everyone else in the forum.

I have not posted much in here at all and I have been even quieter of late.

I would explain but it will sound awful, basically I am sorry for the VOAT let down and such but my computer is still away for repair.

Anyway, why did I ever venture into the Creative Writing forum? I was going to post some true stories about me that I had posted up in the O&O forum.

I wanted to post them up and get the thoughts of for real writers on them.

Then I thought I would be accused of tolling or spamming or something, and somewhere along the line I gave it up as a bad idea. After a week or two I decided I would not post up the stories but I would post a link to the thread instead. Not right away though a few years down the line so no offense was caused.

Anyway the thread is now about to appear. I would love it if you guys would comment on what you read (if you read the stuff)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056533043

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ah here, no need to apologise!

I just want people to write for themselves, the only reason I give the odd push is I know it can sometimes take a shove to get us in front of the sheet of paper.

I read the first tale in your link. A fantastic story. I think Sunday Miscellany on Radio 1 would be interested in it.

The only feedback I have is that you could play up the drama a little more. Add a bit of tension to the hitting of the pumps. And when it comes to the cars piling up, some more visceral description of what it looked like, how you felt as it happened.

I'll read more later.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Just read the first story - damn I felt stressed just reading it. I can only imagine what it was like living it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Ah here, no need to apologise!

I just want people to write for themselves, the only reason I give the odd push is I know it can sometimes take a shove to get us in front of the sheet of paper.

I read the first tale in your link. A fantastic story. I think Sunday Miscellany on Radio 1 would be interested in it.

The only feedback I have is that you could play up the drama a little more. Add a bit of tension to the hitting of the pumps. And when it comes to the cars piling up, some more visceral description of what it looked like, how you felt as it happened.

I'll read more later.

Thank you for your kind words DK I would never have come to the forum (Never knew it existed if I am brutally honest) without the feedback by folks in O&O which you will no doubt see as you read through.
    Just read the first story - damn I felt stressed just reading it. I can only imagine what it was like living it :D

If you felt stressed reading it it is a wonder Ididn't have another heart attack at the time :pac:

Ihope every person who reads the little mishaps finds something to smile about. I like to give folks a chuckle, even at my own expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Rubecula wrote: »
    First I want to say sorry. Sorry to Das Kitty and to everyone else in the forum.

I have not posted much in here at all and I have been even quieter of late.

I would explain but it will sound awful, basically I am sorry for the VOAT let down and such but my computer is still away for repair.

Anyway, why did I ever venture into the Creative Writing forum? I was going to post some true stories about me that I had posted up in the O&O forum.

I wanted to post them up and get the thoughts of for real writers on them.

Then I thought I would be accused of tolling or spamming or something, and somewhere along the line I gave it up as a bad idea. After a week or two I decided I would not post up the stories but I would post a link to the thread instead. Not right away though a few years down the line so no offense was caused.

Anyway the thread is now about to appear. I would love it if you guys would comment on what you read (if you read the stuff)

Thank you in advance

You should seriously consider writing a sitcom based on your transport adventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Really enjoyed all those stories. They are written as you would tell them to a friend and that is both a strength and a weakness. It makes them real and enjoyable but to move from being 'anecdotes' to 'stories' that people will be willing to pay to read in a book they need a little more.
    Truth is often stranger than fiction but the very best fiction takes from reality and builds on it, adding a little here, taking away a little there and mixing up places, people and incidents.

Write down as much as you can remember then work on it. Have you been doing any writing since that thread? It was a long time ago but I know myself that it can take years to build up the courage to let anybody read what you have written. You can write and I would advise you now to read a lot. Read people who write in the same style as you and ones who are completely different then gradually develop your own style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

echo beach wrote: »
    Really enjoyed all those stories. They are written as you would tell them to a friend and that is both a strength and a weakness. It makes them real and enjoyable but to move from being 'anecdotes' to 'stories' that people will be willing to pay to read in a book they need a little more.
    Truth is often stranger than fiction but the very best fiction takes from reality and builds on it, adding a little here, taking away a little there and mixing up places, people and incidents.

Write down as much as you can remember then work on it. Have you been doing any writing since that thread? It was a long time ago but I know myself that it can take years to build up the courage to let anybody read what you have written. You can write and I would advise you now to read a lot. Read people who write in the same style as you and ones who are completely different then gradually develop your own style.

Wonderful advice, thank you :)

Advertisement