Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good insurance companies for cars with large engines

Options
  • 14-03-2016 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any recommendations for car insurance companies for cars with 3L engines and above?

I am currently with AA/Allianz and have been quoted €623 for my 2004 LS430 (7 years no claims bonus, non-EU license).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,534 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I can't see you getting cheaper than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Mmm. That's not bad, but it might be worth giving AXA a quick call. I have a 3l insured with them and they're civilised enough. So far...
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

jimgoose wrote: »
    Mmm. That's not bad, but it might be worth giving AXA a quick call. I have a 3l insured with them and they're civilised enough. So far...
    :pac:

They increased my premium by almost a grand this year on a GS 300..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

That's good, i have a full Irish licence 9 years and 7 years NCB and cheapest i got was about €770 on a 2.0L

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Truckermal wrote: »
    They increased my premium by almost a grand this year on a GS 300..

Jaysis! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

jimgoose wrote: »
    Jaysis! :eek:

Yep and wife's insurance went from 450 to 900 but ended up getting it from the AA for 404 so I must ring them, funny enough my renewal date is April 1st so obviously they think I am an April fool..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

Sounds about right. After a certain engine size, value of the car is not the biggest load. Currently paying about €700 on a 3.0 and I've 12 years NCB, full Irish etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭alanmc

+1 for trying Axa. They sorted me out on my 3.7l when Liberty started playing silly buggers. I've been insuring >3l cars with them for 8 years and this year it becomes a problem when I changed my car. Axa were much more civilized and had me insured in 10 mins flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

That's a good price OP.....Insurance is going crazy this past year, took a lot of shopping around this year to get a reasonable renewal on a 1.9.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Really struggling to find anything this year. Insurance is up for renewal on 1st Apr on a standard 2007 2.0l petrol Volvo. Perfect customer, mid 30s, 6 years no claims and 0 penalty points.
    Paid €450 last year for TPFT with AIG and renewal came through for €550 this year. So far have tried 8 other insurers and for just TPFT with less cover than I currently have price has ranged as follows:

FBD = €700
    Liberty = €803
    123.ie = €804
    Allianz = €977
    AA = €1,016
    Axa = €1,062
    Chill = €1,135
    Aviva = Won't even give me a quote either online or by phone with no explanation.

Seriously depressing stuff answering the same questions multiple times to be greeted with insane premiums. As an ideal candidate can't understand why I can't get something more competitive, seriously broken industry.
    Any other suggestions to try for a quote?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I just popped in my details with AIG and they are by far the best. My renewal isn't for a good while yet, so I'll just wait and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I just popped in my details with AIG and they are by far the best.

Indeed. I switched to AIG this year through 25plus.ie and got a great quote. Car is a 4.4ltr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

paying 450 with AXA for a 3.0 petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

smash wrote: »
    Indeed. I switched to AIG this year through 25plus.ie and got a great quote. Car is a 4.4ltr.

They doubled my quote this year after changing to them last year. :(

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

xabi wrote: »
    paying 450 with AXA for a 3.0 petrol.

Decent price but I just don't understand how they can quote you 450 and me 1,062 for a small car. Just no consistency across the market. What if I had zero no claims discount, shudder at the thought.

Received quotes from 3 more since, all for basic TPFT:

Kennco: €937
    25Plus: €1,066
    Zurich: €1,215

Staggering figures for a basic run of the mill 2.0 car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I renewed mine today

Nononsense my previous insurer quoted 1530

Liberty 2000
    Axa 1220
    Chill 1740
    Fbd 1340
    AA 1830

Settled on 123.ie 1050

Now I do have 4 penalty points and a claim from June 2012 due to criminal damage another few months claim will be wiped from my record along with penalty points which are gone in 6 and 8 weeks also have 6 years no claims discount.

But regardless thats the first time I've had to pay over 1000 since my 3rd year of driving which is madness imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I renewed mine today

Nononsense my previous insurer quoted 1530

Liberty 2000
    Axa 1220
    Chill 1740
    Fbd 1340
    AA 1830

Settled on 123.ie 1050

Now I do have 4 penalty points and a claim from June 2012 due to criminal damage another few months claim will be wiped from my record along with penalty points which are gone in 6 and 8 weeks also have 6 years no claims discount.

But regardless thats the first time I've had to pay over 1000 since my 3rd year of driving which is madness imo.

Ah yeah but in fairness your delorean does serious mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I thought I was getting a great deal with AXA on my medium sized (big by todays standards I suppose) 2.5 litre turbo charged petrol car. I thought be visiting their office I was getting good treatment. Eventually went hunting and got a much better deal with RSA (with all the extras I had with AXA) online. AXA were ripping me off.

The whole face to face thing was working in reverse. I felt like a right chump. :o

Really struggling to find anything this year. Insurance is up for renewal on 1st Apr on a standard 2007 2.0l petrol Volvo. Perfect customer, mid 30s, 6 years no claims and 0 penalty points.
    Paid €450 last year for TPFT with AIG and renewal came through for €550 this year. So far have tried 8 other insurers and for just TPFT with less cover than I currently have price has ranged as follows:

FBD = €700
    Liberty = €803
    123.ie = €804
    Allianz = €977
    AA = €1,016
    Axa = €1,062
    Chill = €1,135
    Aviva = Won't even give me a quote either online or by phone with no explanation.

Seriously depressing stuff answering the same questions multiple times to be greeted with insane premiums. As an ideal candidate can't understand why I can't get something more competitive, seriously broken industry.
    Any other suggestions to try for a quote?
    Decent price but I just don't understand how they can quote you 450 and me 1,062 for a small car. Just no consistency across the market. What if I had zero no claims discount, shudder at the thought.

Received quotes from 3 more since, all for basic TPFT:

Kennco: €937
    25Plus: €1,066
    Zurich: €1,215

Staggering figures for a basic run of the mill 2.0 car.

Not even a large engine but just to update as may be of assistance to others in their hunt for reasonable motor insurance.

Got covered with Bank of Ireland for TPFT with step back bonus protection for €407. Worth trying as BOI wasn't an obvious choice for me. Tried AIB motor insurance after and same cover was coming in over €1,200.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

BoI wouldn't even give me a quote due to engine size.

• Advertisement
Advertisement