Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carlow town based, car tires look flat

Options
  • 14-03-2016 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

is there some way to gauge my tires.

I'm not an expert but they are starting to look flat.

Carlow town based

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Any garage should have compressor with gauge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

whatever happened to weekly checks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

Is there some way to gauge tyres?A tyre gauge?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Tony the side wall of your tire should tell you what pressure the tires should be. When you go to put in the air the compressor will tell you what pressure the tire currently is. You then inflate it to the recommended pressure. I'm also based in carlow and dont mind meeting up if you want a hand the first time doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

The baby jesus wept.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

racso1975 wrote: »
    Tony the side wall of your tire should tell you what pressure the tires should be. When you go to put in the air the compressor will tell you what pressure the tire currently is. You then inflate it to the recommended pressure. I'm also based in carlow and dont mind meeting up if you want a hand the first time doing it.

Morning racso, I popped up to the maxol station on the school run and check them. 3 say 30 and one says 20. forget what the wording was ipn ifn?? sorry long morning school run lol

the 3 30s and the 1 20 (if that makes sense) does that sound normal?

for those who want to ridicule me please carry on, water off a ducks back. Im looking fo helpful advice thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

tonyheaney wrote: »

No, no it does not. Bring yourself over to JW Tyres in Graiguecullen.

Are you new to driving?

testicle wrote: »
    No, no it does not. Bring yourself over to JW Tyres in Graiguecullen.

Are you new to driving?

what should they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Tell us what your car is (make, model and year) and we'll find the exact correct pressures, but in the meantime, 30psi (2 bar) all round would be a good ballpark to keep you rolling safely.

There'll be a sticker somewhere on the car telling you the correct pressures for different loads and speeds.
    Look in the door openings or behind the fuel flap.

Don't pump them to the pressures noted in the small print on the tyre; these are the maximum pressures the tyre is rated for and will likely be far to high for normal motoring.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

what should they be?

The 3 at 30 PSI are fine, The one at 20 is a little under inflated, It could have a slow puncture, Inflate it to 30 PSI and wait a few days to see will it deflate. If it does you could bring it to a tyre shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pump them all to 30, it's a normal value that works for all regular cars.

There will possibly be a sticker in the doorjamb with a pressure chart on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

for those who want to ridicule me please carry on, water off a ducks back. Im looking fo helpful advice thank you.

Dont take your kids out in a car with dangerously underinflated tyres, the car will not handle safely and you are likely to have a blowout.

This is what a blowout looks like from the inside.

Melodeon wrote: »
    Tell us what your car is (make, model and year) and we'll find the exact correct pressures, but in the meantime, 30psi (2 bar) all round would be a good ballpark to keep you rolling safely.

There'll be a sticker somewhere on the car telling you the correct pressures for different loads and speeds.
    Look in the door openings or behind the fuel flap.

Don't pump them to the pressures noted in the small print on the tyre; these are the maximum pressures the tyre is rated for and will likely be far to high for normal motoring.

Morning Melodeon

I have a Fiat Panda 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Morning racso, I popped up to the maxol station on the school run and check them. 3 say 30 and one says 20. forget what the wording was ipn ifn?? sorry long morning school run lol

As said pump the other up to 30 and see how long it lasts. Being under inflated will obviously cause undue wear and tear on tire make sure you check the thread depth etc and keep on eye on that tire. Best of luck

To all that have offered helpful advice this morning, a personal thank you very much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

racso1975 wrote: »

whatever else you do, ignore this advice!

Check out the sticker on the door jamb, or the handbook, or ask the manufacturer or Google it. It will vary depending on the car and on whether it is front or back.

Go to a motor factor and buy either a tyre pressure gauge or a footpump with a gauge on it would be the best move , and then you can check regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Morning Melodeon

I have a Fiat Panda 2004

Here's a list of Fiat Panda recommended pressures:
    http://www.tyre-pressure.co.uk/fiat/panda

There are a selection of different tyre sizes and engine types, but 29psi all round for regular driving and 32psi all round for heavy loads appear to be universal.

The 30psi I suggested earlier would be fine, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Warning, the maximum psi stated on the tire is just that, maximum, no tire should be be used at that pressure unless you want to end up in a ditch after a blowout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

racso1975 wrote:

The sidewall of the tyre in no way tells you what pressure you should have, it does say the maximum pressure (usually around 60psi) DO NOT put 60 psi in your tyres.

@Rasco1975 if you don't know what your talking about don't post crap. If this fella listened to you he'd have 60psi or more in his tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Notch000

get one of these for again, pressure should be checked weekly/bi weekly as a miniumun, only takes a min with a simple gauge

http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-pressure-gauges/halfords-digital-tyre-pressure-tread-gauge

I went to apple-green in graiguecullen they have a really cool machine that tests your tire pressure and automatically adjusts them for you, put all four to 30. thanks to all your help safe driving to all

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

RTFM

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Surely unroadworthy brakes would be more likely to get you in trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is already a thread on unroadworthy tyres here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057581312

so went for my NCFT and failed on a small electrical thingy which when I looked back over it happened in 2004, one year before I before I bought the car. Also told the front tire thread count is very low.

so far I have had the following:

head gasket goes 6 months into buying the car second hand on done deal my guy fixed it and also fixed the fan belt and timing belt replaced,

A month later new right axle needed replaced,

last year I failed on having no rear brakes and to get fixed and retested for €22 one year since I bought the car

A few months later the fuel pump died got a part from a french supplier, now when I fill up max the car thinks I'm empty and flashes me,

Sunday I failed on a small electrical thingy which when I looked back over old NCT it happened in 2004 also and failed then also

on the way out I bumped into a guy who say "hi tony do you remember me?? I sold you the Car!!!!!!

CURSED?????

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nah, you've got a long time out of the car, theres a lot worse than that out there.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nah, you've got a long time out of the car, theres a lot worse than that out there.

bought in may 2014

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's a Fiat, no offence but they can suffer from a fair few minor issues which are relatively inexpensive to repair.

Of the issues you've had
    head gasket goes 6 months into buying the car second hand on done deal my guy fixed it and also fixed the fan belt and timing belt replaced Gaskets can go on FIATs, and fan/timing belts need to replaced at certain intervals

A month later new right axle needed replaced, Wear and tear?

last year I failed on having no rear brakes and to get fixed and retested for €22 one year since I bought the car Brakes wear out and need replacing regularly

A few months later the fuel pump died got a part from a french supplier, now when I fill up max the car thinks I'm empty and flashes me, That sounds like the fuel sensor should also have been checked as part of replacing the pump

Sunday I failed on a small electrical thingy which when I looked back over old NCT it happened in 2004 also and failed then also No idea as small electrical thingy could be anything

Pretty much all of your issues are relatively minor faults or standard servicing issues you will come across over the lifetime of a car.

Advertisement