Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get local history/genealogy journals?

Options
  • 13-03-2016 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

I find local history journals useful not just for invaluable general background information, but also for the genealogical information they often contain. However, I have fallen behind in my collection of county and parish level historical journals. Are there any recommendations for bookshops or stores in Dublin that might have not just current issues, but older ones also?
    (I am specifically interested in Wexford related material, if that matters).
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I doubt any bookshop would have current issues. The IGRS only issues their journal to members. The IFHS does the same but sells back issues through their website. I think you'd have to trawl each organisation's website and see if there's a way to buy them. You could try Healy Rare books in Galway or North Wicklow books - both produce catalogues of their stock and sell over the internet.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I would imagine the best place to find Wexford local history journals would be the local study section of Wexford county library, Mallin Street, Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

AskaboutIreland has many ebooks, maps, histories etc at:
    http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/digital-book-collection/digital-books-by-subject/

Might be worth checking out the Ordnance Survey letters - check on the following link and then select Wexford. Some of the letters may mention local individuals, as well as townlands and monuments. The letters haven't been transcribed, but there is a handwritten index:
    http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/digital-book-collection/digital-books-by-subject/ordnance-survey-of-irelan/index.xml

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

tabbey wrote: »
    I would imagine the best place to find Wexford local history journals would be the local study section of Wexford county library, Mallin Street, Wexford.

Indeed. But I wish to see these items reside in my library! :)
    I have an extensive collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

Hi Chieftain

I live in Co. Wexford and am passionately interested in local history. Unfortunately, there's no bookshop in Dublin that stocks local history publications from Co. Wexford on anything like a general basis. Some publications don't even make the bookshops in Wexford.

There are four local history journals in Wexford that publish longer articles on local history - Wexford, The Past, Taghmon and Bannow. Wexford published their 25th journal some months ago. Taghmon are hoping to publish in April and Bannow later on this year, I believe.

There are also many parishes which publish journals on an annual or regular basis.

Recent publications I've managed to get hold of include -

Bernard Browne, 1916 Rising in Co. Wexford - The Literary Legacy;
    Seamus Rafter, His Life and Times;
    Thomas Wafer, A Son of Enniscorthy.

St. Peters College launched a re-print of its 1916 Annual last (Monday) night.

Had been thinking of starting a thread on "Local History Books" in the Wexford forum as Wexford is certainly one of the most active counties in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

KildareFan wrote: »

Many thanks - as an "early adopter" of some of these sites, I am sometimes completely unaware of more recent additions. That the "OSI Letters" are now available online is wonderful!

Advertisement