Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

localhost wordpress plugin fail, cant create a directory

Options
  • 13-03-2016 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

i get thsi message when i try to upload a plugin, i am working on a xamp localhost wordpress etc.

Installing Plugin: bbPress 2.5.8
    Downloading install package from https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/bbpress.2.5.8.zip…;

Unpacking the package…

Could not create directory.
    i found the following code, will it work and where do put it
    chown+-R+www-data:www-data+your-wordpress-directory
    they paste into say wp content or in console

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

You can download the plugin Zip file and extract it in the .../wp-content/plugins/ folder directly, if that's easier.

Otherwise, you'll have to change the owner of the Wordpress install directory to the user your web server runs as. A quick Google throws up this which looks to fix your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭raher1

cgarvey wrote: »
    You can download the plugin Zip file and extract it in the .../wp-content/plugins/ folder directly, if that's easier.

Otherwise, you'll have to change the owner of the Wordpress install directory to the user your web server runs as. A quick Google throws up this which looks to fix your issue.

Thank you, I was going off on a mad tangent there.
    I think placing files in the wp content is a good start and it worked, I have mini version in place, not all the files are useable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

What OS are you using to host the site?

What OS are you using to host the site?
    OS X 10.9.5 mac pro

cgarvey wrote: »

they both worked, so far so good....always something as you go along

• Advertisement

The web server doesn't have permission (or didn't) to create the folder, which is why you were getting that error it seems. chmod would solve it, but you've already rectified the issue.

The web server doesn't have permission (or didn't) to create the folder, which is why you were getting that error it seems. chmod would solve it, but you've already rectified the issue.

What is a chmod? I read up but not sure what it means and where you put it.

chmod is a command for changing permssions on a folder or file. Since its a local system you're working on you would have been safe enough to use a chmod -R -777 folderName

this will change the permissions recursively on the folder to read write and execute for all users, groups and the world.

Fine for local development

Wiki

Advertisement