Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Ubuntu from a USB Drive

Options
  • 13-03-2016 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to check a hard drive using an old computer. I've swapped the connections to its hard drive to instead connect to the drive under test.

As I've done this, I need an OS in order to read the HDD and see whether it is working. To do this I've downloaded the Ubuntu 14.04.4 desktop i386 iso file to a USB drive at the top level (not within a subfolder).

I've inserted the USB drive into the old computer and fired it up. I then changed the boot sequence to only boot from a USB device but the computer is telling me that there is no Boot Device available.

What step am I missing here. The last time I tried this it worked fine.

I've now altered the boot sequence to 1. USB Device and 2. Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive.

The drive I'm checking is part of a media box and so would not have an applicable OS for this (I think). I tried it anyway but no success.

Any ideas as to what I need to do here to get Ubuntu up and running to check the HDD?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You need to make the USB drive "bootable" - it needs a certain layout so the computer recognises it as something it can boot from

download this :

https://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-2.7.exe

from here :

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

make sure it's "pointed" at the USB drive !! or it'll delete your stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks.

C: seems to be the USB drive. How do I figure out what drive designation the newly inserted HDD is? Is there a way to list all drives present? I've tried to go down through the drives using cd x: but the response is "Drive x: not responding.

Is there a further step I need to do when I get to the c: prompt in order to get FreeDOS working properly?

Ohh!

I' just pulled out the data connection for the original C:. I thought having the power connection removed would disable it. Now with only my HDD under test connected when I type cd d: I get the message "CHDIR failed for ':d'.

Just rebooted the machine and am now back to the original Drive D is not responding message.:confused:

Any ideas as to what is happening here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

? not sure

what you need to do is click the disc icon in Rufus and select the Ubuntu .iso image you downloaded

( run Rufus on your "good" computer )

Ahh, I used the OS they had and didn't select the Ubuntu ISO. Trying again now...

• Advertisement

Sweet. It works! The drive is alive :)

Many thanks for your help - I appreciate it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

One annoyance I have is when Linux Distros issue ISOs which are over 700mb so they dont fit on a CD or indeed so large they wont fit on an old USB key

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

webwayz wrote: »
    One annoyance I have is when Linux Distros issue ISOs which are over 700mb so they dont fit on a CD or indeed so large they wont fit on an old USB key

You cannot have modern GUI and full functionality and lots of applications in a small size.
    No doubt there are small releases too to cater for the minimalists amongst us :D

Advertisement