Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First car - Insurance friendly alternative to MK5 Golf GTI

Options
  • 13-03-2016 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I love the Golf GTI. However as a 22 year old male I don't think buying a sporty 2.0l is a good choice for insurance reasons. I have yet to actually get a quote as I'm a few months away from buying a car. I've had my license for 4 years but only 6 months insured in that time.

I like the appearance and the power of the GTI. Is there any alternatives maybe with a slightly smaller engine? I wouldn't be against the idea of buying a cheaper / less powerful car and doing some work on it myself. I suppose an obvious choice might be an MK5 TDI with a smaller engine (think there's 1.6l Golf TDIs?).

Budget is not set in stone, but ~ 7,000 for the car.
    I'd pay 3,000 for insurance for the first year, with the expectation of it going down a good chunk next year.

Use: Short journeys around Dublin. I'd like to be able to use it for longer drives if necessary - pop it on the ferry and go traveling for a bit with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Hmmmm, I'd start looking for quotes first to be honest. I can't see any car being cheap but insurance company's will certainly be jacking the premium for a TDI or GTI. Also be aware that modding the car and not declaring it could invalidate your insurance.

If I were you maybe consider a very late mk4 Golf 1.4 Comfort line or Highline and just stick a GTI badge and the correct gti alloys on it .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A 22 year old with zero NCB will struggle to get a quote from any insurance company on anything remotely similar to a GTi.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A 1.4 TSI, but I can't see you getting one for €7k

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    A 1.4 TSI, but I can't see you getting one for €7k

I can't see insurance being easy to get either

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PKW

Hi there,

If you do manage to get insurance sorted I have a spotless MK5 GTI for sale.

For some reason I can't post the link. So I'll try pm you.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement