Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dumpster diving?

• 13-03-2016 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Given the WEEE and everything does anybody ever poke around to see if they can find any repairable and if so where do you go looking? Do you ask for permission etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would love to see a 'Re-use' as well as a Recycle dump.

The numbers of electronic items, such as PCs whose parts (if not full device) could be re-used is huge, but these go for breaking up and "recycling".

A terrible waste IMO.

Thankfully I get a lot of items from people who ask if I want something before they place it for 'recycle' and thus parts get re-used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

Got a tube off an old dyson I spotted in the my local wee recycle centre one day so that saved buying a new one online, asked the staff if it was ok to take first though. There definitely seems to be some potentially worthwhile parts but my local place leaves all the electronics out in the open so they get weather damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I've got some good stuff but in the winter the ould rain gets the better of salvageable stuff fairly quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Should WEEE be stored outside?
    I mean the bad stuff in them would just leak out into the ground water no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Should WEEE be stored outside?
    I mean the bad stuff in them would just leak out into the ground water no?

I'd say not.

I reckon what happens is all the people involved in the running of these dumps go on a training course by some private training course contractor where they're told exactly how it should be stored and what type of jacket you should be wearing when you're storing it and how not to hurt your back while you're doing so. Then in real life they end up just horsing it outside because they gave the remaining portion of their budget to the training company and can't afford any indoor storage

• Advertisement
Advertisement