Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Actors doing commercials/ads on tv

Options
  • 12-03-2016 7:32pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭


    I noticed a surge of ads on tv recently with famous actors involved. There's the one with Harvey Keitel playing his character from Pulp Fiction "Winston Wolfe" and he's promoting Direct Line. Then you have Arnold Schwarzenegger doing an ad for this mobile app game called Mobile Strike, and Christoph Waltz is doing this ad for another mobile app game called Clash of Clans.

    Anyway it got me thinking. Why do famous actors go in for this type of thing? What's their purpose for doing ads/commercials on tv? I mean is it a money thing, or are they just trying to get a job? Because it seems to me that they would have no problem getting a role in a new movie or something, and they don't strike me as being skint.

    I don't know, it just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. It feels like shameless self promoting to me, or actors selling themselves out or something.


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭Mister Vain


    It's another job.
    More money.
    For the craic.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Migrant Worker


    Blew all their money on coke and whores and now need some cash.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren


    Yeah, it just makes no sense.

    Why make x amount of dollars doing 30 seconds of work when you could do a film for 3-6 months for x amount.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted


    Van damme dude ....doing an advert for some beer...better off if he sued the plastic surgeon...:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR


    Stallone doing a bread ad takes the biscuit (or should that be the sandwich :))


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt


    If that Clooney coffee ad could make love to itself, it would.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On


    It's money for old rope


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse


    As said above it's easy money for a couple of hours work. The reason they're chosen is to give a distinctive voice to the client's campaign, there's an added bonus if people recognise the particular voice but even if they don't you get that reassurance of a voice that feels familiar even if you don't know why.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt


    It's not a new thing, in general, but it is relatively new in UK & Ireland, it seems. US actors have been doing commercials in Japan for years. See here for examples & pictures.

    From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

    — Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut



  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner


    razorblunt wrote: »
    If that Clooney coffee ad could make love to itself, it would.

    They are shockin smug, but in fairness I believe most of his fee goes to the charities he works with in South Sudan.

    Doesn't make the ads any less annoying though.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity


    DAOWNLOAD NAWH FROM DA AHPP STOHRE!!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt


    maudgonner wrote: »
    They are shockin smug, but in fairness I believe most of his fee goes to the charities he works with in South Sudan.

    Doesn't make the ads any less annoying though.

    Yeah, I have no problem with the fees or them doing it. I mean, it's alot of money for, what, half a days work at a time? More power to them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos


    Arne doing the Mobile Strike ads.... they are just terrible,


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren


    What did Lawrence Olivier say about taking roles that were low on quality but paid handsomely?

    "They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house! I'm not made of stone!"*











    * Money, dear boy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim


    Riddle101 wrote: »
    I noticed a surge of ads on tv recently with famous actors involved. There's the one with Harvey Keitel playing his character from Pulp Fiction "Winston Wolfe" and he's promoting Direct Line. Then you have Arnold Schwarzenegger doing an ad for this mobile app game called Mobile Strike, and Christoph Waltz is doing this ad for another mobile app game called Clash of Clans.

    Anyway it got me thinking. Why do famous actors go in for this type of thing? What's their purpose for doing ads/commercials on tv? I mean is it a money thing, or are they just trying to get a job? Because it seems to me that they would have no problem getting a role in a new movie or something, and they don't strike me as being skint.

    I don't know, it just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. It feels like shameless self promoting to me, or actors selling themselves out or something.

    Mariah Carey earned a 7 figure sum for promoting that Game of War app. Easy money would be why they do it

    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-12-mariah-carey-signs-seven-figure-deal-to-promote-free-to-play-game-of-war-app


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy


    As Michael Caine said about Jaws IV - "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin


    gifted wrote: »
    Van damme dude ....doing an advert for some beer...better off if he sued the plastic surgeon...:D
    Yes, because talking nipples is a medical issue...:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2


    In her modelling days when she was younger, Cameron Diaz starred in an ad for Nivea Sun


  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub


    branie2 wrote: »
    In her modelling days when she was younger, Cameron Diaz starred in an ad for Nivea Sun

    and she was in a softcore bondage porn film... Don't think she is that concerned about nivea ads.

    Some of the japanese adverts are great.

    Salvador Dali did some ads years back



  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty


    Kevin Bacon got caught up in a pyramid scheme and has to do the EE commercials because his life savings were basically wiped out. Don't know about the other celebs though.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08


    rubadub wrote: »
    and she was in a softcore bondage porn film... Don't think she is that concerned about nivea ads.



    Salvador Dali did some ads years back


    Thumbs up on the two facts you chose to share.

    Thumbs down on the choice of clip from those two facts.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard


    razorblunt wrote: »
    If that Clooney coffee ad could make love to itself, it would.

    What else


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly


    What else

    Double what else


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops


    Arne doing the Mobile Strike ads.... they are just terrible,

    The game is terrible. Another in a new spate of so called strategy games which require zero strategy or even thinking. All these tool tips tell you what to do and you just keep doing what your told until you:

    A: Get to a level where you have to wait a day for your next Upgrade and then get prompted to pay $$$ to speed up the upgrade

    Or

    B: Delete the sodding thing.

    When I was about 12 a friend gave me a disc with Dune on it. No manual, no internet to find tactics, guides or even cheats. Spent months learning how to play. Loved that game.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.


    Suntory time!

    The worst is Johnny depp advertising that aftershave. In normal life he looks like he smells bad. Not the most hygienic perhaps. He wouldn't be my first choice. And the ads themselves are bizarre.

    Don't blame the celebrities for taking the cash but do they really help to sell the product?


  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Punkyblip


    Harvey Keitel advertising direct line for me was a disaster, he was useless in the advert. His acting skills just disappeared. Must have a big monthly alimony outgoings he needs to fund or something to stoop to that level.

    I would like to see Quagmire from Family Guy in an advert for Ann Summers.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.


    Punkyblip wrote: »
    Harvey Keitel advertising direct line for me was a disaster, he was useless in the advert. His acting skills just disappeared. Must have a big monthly alimony outgoings he needs to fund or something to stoop to that level.

    I would like to see Quagmire from Family Guy in an advert for Ann Summers.

    I haven't seen those ads but Harvey keitel is in an ad for Mini Cooper cars here at the moment too. It's obviously a bit more prestigious than direct line but he really must need the money!


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot


    Maybe they really like these products and want to share this with the entire world?

    Ye are all so quick so judge....shame on you!


  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Punkyblip


    Maybe they really like these products and want to share this with the entire world?

    Ye are all so quick so judge....shame on you!

    Says the guy being paid to advertise Agatha Christie :)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot


    Punkyblip wrote: »
    Says the guy being paid to advertise Agatha Christie :)

    I don't need to be paid to advertise Agatha Christie, everybody knows that she is a world renowned author whose work has drifted wonderfully into the modern era as even today people are fascinated by her ability to weave intriguing webs and dastardly plots together with characters that simply delight and enthrall the casual reader. :pac:


Advertisement