Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Club Ingredient #3: Chocolate

Options
  • 12-03-2016 6:43pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Yummy, scrummy, and impossible to resist - chocolate :)
    Do you have a recipe that wows, a recipe that sends you to chocolate heaven? If so, please share it with us!

How to join in:

Post your recipe below - in this thread - with pictures if you like. The pictures must be your own, though! Ideally, put your pictures after the complete ingredients list and method, for readability.

To maintain the spirit of the forum, please try someone else's recipe and give them feedback.

If you don't have a recipe to post, that's cool too! Feel free to try whichever recipes grab your fancy and don't forget to post with your feedback.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Raspberry, orange and chocolate semi freddo...warning for decadence. :pac:

Ingredients:

20g dark chocolate, 70%
    5 egg yolks
    170g caster sugar
    Zest from one orange
    2 tbs grand marnier or cointreau
    125g raspberries
    100g white chocolate chipped
    300ml double cream
    1 vanilla pod

Method:

Line the bottom of 8 ramekins with cling film, leaving a little coming over the edge.

Melt the first quantity of chocolate in a bowl over a pot of boiling water. Remove the chocolate and allow to cool. Turn the boiling water to a low heat.

Put the egg yolks, sugar and orange zest into a heat proof bowl. Place the bowl the boiling water, but make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water. Whisk using an electric beater until the mixture is thick and pale. Remove the mixture and continue beating until cool.

Halve the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds to the cream and whisk until soft peaks form. Fold in the raspberries, meld chocolate, grand marnier and white chocolate pieces into the egg mixture. Fold in the cream.

Pour the mixture into the ramekins and freeze for 4-6 hours until set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I made this double chocolate pecan bread for a fundraising event last year. It's from The Little Green Spoon blog, which originally makes one loaf, but I divided the batch into mini loaves. They're gluten-free.

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE PECAN BREAD

4 eggs
    1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1 cup pecans, plus extra to decorate on top
    1.5 cups ground almond
    1/4 cup cacao powder (cocoa is ok)
    1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
    a pinch of salt
    1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I used 74% chocolate bar and chop into small chunks).

Preheat the oven at 180c.
    In a food processor, blitz the pecans as fine as possible.
    Combine eggs, coconut oil and maple syrup in a large bowl.
    Thoroughly combine ground almonds, ground pecans, cacao powder, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix.
    Mix in the chocolate chips and then pour the whole mixture into a lined loaf tin, or lined mini loaf tins as I did (I got about 5 loaves per batch). Decorate with extra pecans on top if you wish.
    Bake for 40 minutes, but if you're using mini tins, check after 25 minutes using the toothpick test. If they're underdone, bake for another 5 minutes.
    Let it cool on a wire rack before serving. Indy suggested with almond butter, but I like them as they are.

BE940FAB-4938-4EDB-9091-1BB391C815B5_zps94so2q84.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I made this double chocolate pecan bread for a fundraising event last year. It's from The Little Green Spoon blog, which originally makes one loaf, but I divided the batch into mini loaves. They're gluten-free.

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE PECAN BREAD

4 eggs
    1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1 cup pecans, plus extra to decorate on top
    1.5 cups ground almond
    1/4 cup cacao powder (cocoa is ok)
    1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
    a pinch of salt
    1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I used 74% chocolate bar and chop into small chunks).

Preheat the oven at 180c.
    In a food processor, blitz the pecans as fine as possible.
    Combine eggs, coconut oil and maple syrup in a large bowl.
    Thoroughly combine ground almonds, ground pecans, cacao powder, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix.
    Mix in the chocolate chips and then pour the whole mixture into a lined loaf tin, or lined mini loaf tins as I did (I got about 5 loaves per batch). Decorate with extra pecans on top if you wish.
    Bake for 40 minutes, but if you're using mini tins, check after 25 minutes using the toothpick test. If they're underdone, bake for another 5 minutes.
    Let it cool on a wire rack before serving. Indy suggested with almond butter, but I like them as they are.

BE940FAB-4938-4EDB-9091-1BB391C815B5_zps94so2q84.jpg

I made these yesterday and there divine. I'd bought coconut oil so I was delighted to see it in a recipe. I had no pecans so I used walnuts and almonds. I also used non gluten free baking powder. Delicious. Not so good for my waist line!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Exploding Chocolate Pudding

I made this for a family dinner at the weekend, and had forgotten how good it was. It's perfect if you've a family member or friend who can't eat anything with flour.

If you don't want the espresso filling, there's lots of other alternatives, such as Kahlua, Baileys, etc. mixed with chocolate, but of course being alcohol it doesn't set as well as the espresso on its own. It's pretty easy to do, and looks lovely, but it is quite heavy, so not something I'd serve after a very heavy meal (although I did serve it after roast lamb on Sunday!)

Ingredients
    • 455 g chocolate (I use 70% cocoa solids)
    • 50 ml hot espresso or good strong instant coffee
    • 125 g butter , plus extra for greasing
    • 6 eggs , separated
    • 200 g caster sugar
    • 100 g ground almonds
    • 100 g rice flour
    • 1 small handful chopped hazelnuts , toasted

Method:
    Melt 125g chocolate with the coffee, then pour into small ice-cube moulds and freeze until hard.

Take 6 small ramekins and grease well with some butter. Place in the fridge while you make your sponge mixture.

Melt the remaining chocolate with the butter in a bowl over a pan of boiling water,

In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites with the sugar until firm. Fold the yolks into the cooled chocolate and butter mixture, then add the almonds and flour. Finish by folding in the egg white mixture

Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/gas 5.

Take the moulds out of the fridge and spoon a little mixture into each one, then push in a cube of the frozen coffee and chocolate mixture. Cover with the rest of the sponge mixture so each ice cube is completely enveloped. Bake in the preheated oven for about 18 to 20 minutes, then remove carefully from the moulds while hot. Serve immediately sprinkled with hazelnuts.

I tend to serve these with a scoop of vanilla ice cream 

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Perfect after coming in from the cold and wet :)

The quantities are approximate - adjust to taste, you can make it as chocolatey/ milky/ spicy as you prefer

Allow for a mug of milk per person, into a saucepan, heat to a simmer. Add in a large bar of dark chocolate, broken into squares.

Add spices to taste, start with a pinch and take it from there:
    Cinnamon powder
    Nutmeg powder
    Chilli powder
    Vanilla essence /Vanilla pod seeds.

Serve with whipped cream and marshmallows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Had this over the weekend, best chocolate sauce ever.......

300ml single cream
    1 bar of Aldi Milk Chocolate

In a small saucepan heat up cream, add chunks of chocolate until melted.

Pour over ice cream. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭lisa_eire

Malteaser chocolate biscuit cake

Melt and mix together half a block of margarine (stork), 400g dairy milk chocolate and 3/4 mars bars in a metal bowl over a pot of boiling water. Add 100ml of golden syrup and half a packet of digestives depending on how buiscuity you want it to be. Finally, add a large pouch of malteasers. Add mixture to a container lined with grease proof paper and place in the fridge overnight. Add marsh mellows on top if desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭lisa_eire

Toblerone bake

150g unsalted butter, cubed

150g Toblerone

150g dark brown sugar

3 large eggs

1tsp vanilla extract

150g ground almonds

50g cocoa powder

Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas Mark 3. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, I used a 29cm x 18.5cm but you could also use a 10″ square one.

Melt the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water, making sure that the bottom of the bowl does not come into contact with the water. Once melted remove the bowl from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.

While the chocolate mixture is cooling add the sugar to a large mixing bowl followed by the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix together with an electric mixer on a low-speed for around three minutes until smooth and creamy and slightly paler in colour.

Add the chocolate mixture to the sugar mixture and gently fold through.

Sieve the ground almonds and the cocoa powder into the chocolate mixture to ensure that you do not end up with powdery lumps in the baked cake. Gently fold this through before pouring into the prepared tin.

Place into the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Place on a wire rack and allow to cool before cutting into squares.

4. Add the chocolate mixture to the sugar mixture and gently fold through.

5. Sieve the ground almonds and the cocoa powder into the chocolate mixture to ensure that you do not end up with powdery lumps in the baked cake. Gently fold this through before pouring into the prepared tin.

6. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes. It should still have a slight wobble in the centre or a clean skewer inserted into the centre should come out slightly smeared in gooey brownie deliciousness. Place on a wire rack and allow to cool. Cut into squares as big or as small as desired and serve while still warm or completely cooled, it’s completely up to your brownie eating preference.

Personally I serve warmed with ice cream.

Advertisement