Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DBS BA (Hons) Counselling and Psychotherapy

Options
  • 11-03-2016 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭

For as many years as i can remember i've suffered from depression, i've lost college courses, jobs, friends etc because of it but i've managed to get through it all.

I've tried many different meds along the way and therapy as well. Finally i've found meds that work for me.

Over the years i've always wondered what makes who i am, why am i this way and can i do anything to change things.

Its led me to wanting to go back to college and in the area of psychology. But i don't know where to go course wise.

The one above seems to have a lot of therapy and could lead to me learning more about myself but would a normal psychology degree be better and more rounded.

I'm lucky that work will refund my fees but i still want to look for the right course as i'm 39 and i won't have too many more chances to do this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

If you look at my previous posts, you'll see I always recommend a psychology degree as a basis for psychotherapy/counselling. As a psychologist myself, I often hear from clients about some awful rubbish they've been told by other previous counsellors: complete nonsense. It also gives you a much greater understanding of how people work in general, and (hopefully) an appreciation of the scientific method, and a more solid basis to understand psychotherapy approaches.

Advertisement