Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

counselling for bipolar

Options
  • 11-03-2016 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi, I was diagnosed with bipolar last May and I am really struggling at the moment. I made the decision to come off medication against my psychiatrists advice. I can feel myself sinking in to Depression and my thoughts are bad. I am not sleeping because I am afraid someone is going to break in to the house if I fall asleep. When I was very depressed before I was hearing things that werent there, I am terrified of this happening again. I think I am going to have to go back on the medication although I really don't want to. Anyway I said to the psychiatrist I wanted to see a counsellor and he said it wouldn't help that the only thing that would work would be medication. Is this true? Can counselling help with this or is it a complete waste of time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Of course counselling can help. However, usually Bipolar is treated with both medication and therapy, with some individuals coming off meds when things stabilize for them.

CBT and Interpersonal and Social Rhythm Therapy, are good models of therapy to work with your issue. If you are not feeling supported by your psych, talk to him about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Yes, I would suggest doing a search for evidence base for CBT with bipolar disorder. Your psychiatrist should be able to refer you to somebody, either in the HSE or in whatever private setting s/he works in.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ricicle

Thanks very much for your responses. I am seeing a counsellor tomorrow. Hoping it will be the start of feeling better.

Advertisement