Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is the local scene doing?

Options
  • 11-03-2016 6:52pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I haven't lived in Ireland for a while now so I don't have a clue what's going on locally anymore, and as far as I can see any discussion of it seems to have been dropped from this forum.. But considering how MMA has never had as a high profile in Ireland as it does now thanks to Conor and the UFC, there must surely have been an increase in club numbers and events? Are there any good websites out there where one can follow what's going on in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I haven't lived in Ireland for a while now so I don't have a clue what's going on locally anymore, and as far as I can see any discussion of it seems to have been dropped from this forum.. But considering how MMA has never had a higher profile in Ireland as it does now thanks to Conor and the UFC, there must surely have been an increase in club numbers and events? Are there any good websites out there where one can follow what's going on in Ireland?

Club numbers have certainly increased but like most things, usually its a short lived spike in numbers then it all dies off when lads find its hard work.

One thing which was very noticable was an increase in Judo numbers when Rousey was doing well, esp women.

As regards competition, well the Rumble is Rush is still a brilliant night, well attended and reviewed.. There's also Battlezone, Ryoshin, BAMMA etc.

The Grand daddy of them all 'Ring of Truth' is long gone of course but its worth is probably immeasurable.

The UFC has more or less taken over the discussion here these days, I don't have the time or the interest to follow it but its certainly keeping this forums Moderators busy I'm sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Club numbers have certainly increased but like most things, usually its a short lived spike in numbers then it all dies off when lads find its hard work.

One thing which was very noticable was an increase in Judo numbers when Rousey was doing well, esp women.

As regards competition, well the Rumble is Rush is still a brilliant night, well attended and reviewed.. There's also Battlezone, Ryoshin, BAMMA etc.

The Grand daddy of them all 'Ring of Truth' is long gone of course but its worth is probably immeasurable.

The UFC has more or less taken over the discussion here these days, I don't have the time or the interest to follow it but its certainly keeping this forums Moderators busy I'm sure.
    Have the judo numbers kept up?

Cage Contender is gone?

I had a great night out by Rumble in Rush many years ago, glad to hear it's still going strong. Did Vinny De Rusci ever fight in mma again? He had a cracking hook, literally cracked the air when he threw it :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Loads of good local shows to go Bamma and Cagekings event have been terrific so far some of the best fights ive ever seen was at them,others shows like Battlezone,ryoshin ect are too expensive for the product on offer imo,for these shows every ticket should be 20e,places like the 02 you can charge 35 and so on,theres a new promotion on in the boxing stadium soon cant remember seeing mma in the actual stadium TEF its called lot of sbg fighters on it.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Loads of good local shows to go Bamma and Cagekings event have been terrific so far some of the best fights ive ever seen was at them,others shows like Battlezone,ryoshin ect are too expensive for the product on offer imo,for these shows every ticket should be 20e,places like the 02 you can charge 35 and so on,theres a new promotion on in the boxing stadium soon cant remember seeing mma in the actual stadium TEF its called lot of sbg fighters on it.
    Since you mentioned SBG, are they the top club in Ireland by far, or is there anyone else close to their level in terms of output?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Since you mentioned SBG, are they the top club in Ireland by far, or is there anyone else close to their level in terms of output?

They have most of the best potential ufc stars on their books and always have a lot of fighters on shows but its not a one club country at all,there is some serious high level prospects from up north especially and team ryano.

• Advertisement

Have the judo numbers kept up?

Cage Contender is gone?

More or less yes.

But its like BJJ (Judo and BJJ are really opposite sides of the same coin), people will initially become addicted to it but when it comes to upping their game to progress up the ranks people start to drop off.

Judo, BJJ or MMA I think you're lucky to get 18 months out of the majority of newbies, they start to drop off rapidly after that.

After five years you have a tiny hardcore who'll be fighting for years.

Thats my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I have only attended local shows since the UFC came back to Dublin with Conor McGregor and I've seen some great fights from young fighters coming through.

Haven't had a bad night yet and the fact that Cage Warriors is back is also promising.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I have only attended local shows since the UFC came back to Dublin with Conor McGregor and I've seen some great fights from young fighters coming through.

Haven't had a bad night yet and the fact that Cage Warriors is back is also promising.

Its great that you're supporting the local shows, the guys and girls there really need the support.

Its mad to think that when CmcG made his debut against Gary Morris we were struggling to sell a 150 seats in a local hall!.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Sorry to hijack the thread but as it is related to local stuff, any boardsies heading to the Cage Kings night on the 26th? Myself and a few heads from the sunny south east will be making the trek. Might be fun to have a meet up with some? Its on in Tallaght for anyone unaware of what I am actually talking about :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Sorry to hijack the thread but as it is related to local stuff, any boardsies heading to the Cage Kings night on the 26th? Myself and a few heads from the sunny south east will be making the trek. Might be fun to have a meet up with some? Its on in Tallaght for anyone unaware of what I am actually talking about :)
    Reported :mad:

Haha, no work away :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement