Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oscar Wilde plays and personal life

• 11-03-2016 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭

Hello..
    Am currently doing a dissertation on a re-reading of Oscar Wilde's plays against the backdrop of his personal private life. If anyone could suggest some reccommended reading I would greatly appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

Get the Richard Ellmann bio, it's the definitive I believe and covers his life, incorporating his writing of course, not just the scandals. V interesting to read about his parents / background esp his mother "Sperenza" (sp!) Trope of the booming, overbearing Lady?

If you are focusing on his private life, that will include his legal and reputational downfall? Ie. the Queensbury business. If so I would recommend going over the trial itself, the minutiae that Wilde was accused of, the gossip about himself that he was forced to listen and respond to, the - quite shocking! - use of his own writing against his character (I think this mostly refers to Dorian Gray, and you say you're concentrating on plays, still it could be worth a mention). "Irish Peacock and Scarlet Marquess" by Merlin Holland is a great, clear account of the trial, with complete transcripts and highly useful notes and index.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Get the Richard Ellmann bio, it's the definitive I believe and covers his life, incorporating his writing of course, not just the scandals. V interesting to read about his parents / background esp his mother "Sperenza" (sp!) Trope of the booming, overbearing Lady?

If you are focusing on his private life, that will include his legal and reputational downfall? Ie. the Queensbury business. If so I would recommend going over the trial itself, the minutiae that Wilde was accused of, the gossip about himself that he was forced to listen and respond to, the - quite shocking! - use of his own writing against his character (I think this mostly refers to Dorian Gray, and you say you're concentrating on plays, still it could be worth a mention). "Irish Peacock and Scarlet Marquess" by Merlin Holland is a great, clear account of the trial, with complete transcripts and highly useful notes and index.

Thank you for your very detailed and helpful response. I have been reading the Elmann bio it's very helpful indeed; although not wholly factual if I am to believe.
    I am only revisiting his four plays; Lady Windermere's Fan, A Woman of no Importance, An Ideal Husband and Ernest. I have chosen those because he first met Lord Alfred Douglas when writing Windermere's fan and was due in court when Ernest was being staged; thus i intened to re-read these plays against the backdrop of his personal life and with particular reference to his relationship with Douglas. I am also finding the Neill Mc Kenna book very helpful.

Advertisement