Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs and flat offers in Waterford

Options
  • 11-03-2016 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello,

Me and my girlfriend would want to move from Dublin to Waterford. Dublin seems too crowded and the moment for us and it's really hard to get a (decent) flat. We like the look of Waterford and what have we heard about it but I am looking for informations if there is easy to find some "starter" jobs in Waterford, like bartending, kitchen assistant, floor stuff, shop assistant etc. (or something else!) Also, I see much lower prices of flats in comparison to Dublin. Is it hard to get a flat like it's in Dublin now?

Thanks for any info/advices/suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Hard job question to answer without more personal info.

Jobs are heard to find anywhere but it depends on your experience. Every industry is different.

If neither of you have qualifications your going to struggle anywhere.

Yes you could get a nice apartment for maybe 600 a month no problem. always at least 4 or 5 to choose from.

Just ring agencies and ask for the next one that pops up that suits. Not hard at all.

Anyone who says its hard to find a place just hasnt the budget. You front the money and youll get a place easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Szmola

Hard job question to answer without more personal info.

Jobs are heard to find anywhere but it depends on your experience. Every industry is different.

If neither of you have qualifications your going to struggle anywhere.

Yes you could get a nice apartment for maybe 600 a month no problem. always at least 4 or 5 to choose from.

Just ring agencies and ask for the next one that pops up that suits. Not hard at all.

Anyone who says its hard to find a place just hasnt the budget. You front the money and youll get a place easy.

Thanks for reply.
    Well, I am just wondering is there a big difference in offering/wanting and competition, generally speaking. In Dublin, you can find a job in a week, if you are not picky. I am wondering how's in Waterford.
    For apartments/flats is different. You come on viewing and there is 20 more people with you. Than landlord picks someone who has more money on bank account, "better" references or nicer teeth/smile. :) So, it's a relief to know that there is not that big competition in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,087 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Szmola wrote: »
    Thanks for reply.
    Well, I am just wondering is there a big difference in offering/wanting and competition, generally speaking. In Dublin, you can find a job in a week, if you are not picky. I am wondering how's in Waterford.
    For apartments/flats is different. You come on viewing and there is 20 more people with you. Than landlord picks someone who has more money on bank account, "better" references or nicer teeth/smile. :) So, it's a relief to know that there is not that big competition in Waterford.

Waterford is a lot smaller than Dublin and Jobs are very hard to find.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Waterford is a lot smaller than Dublin and Jobs are very hard to find.

Thanks for that info.

Any more info/experiences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Thanks for that info.

Any more info/experiences?

There is a jobs thread at the top of this forum keep an eye on it people usually post about shops/restaurants etc who have signs up looking for people,personally speaking Waterford is picking up and there is plenty of jobs out there,hand your CV into a few job agencies around the town and tell them what type of work you're looking for.

As for flats its the same as everywhere else you will get what you pay for,there is plenty of dives but then there is plenty of decent places,just keep an eye on Daft or get in contact with the rental agencies and tell them what you want.

Regardless of what others might say Waterford is a great place to live and work.

• Advertisement

There is a jobs thread at the top of this forum keep an eye on it people usually post about shops/restaurants etc who have signs up looking for people,personally speaking Waterford is picking up and there is plenty of jobs out there,hand your CV into a few job agencies around the town and tell them what type of work you're looking for.

As for flats its the same as everywhere else you will get what you pay for,there is plenty of dives but then there is plenty of decent places,just keep an eye on Daft or get in contact with the rental agencies and tell them what you want.

Regardless of what others might say Waterford is a great place to live and work.

Thanks for this.

Well, the prices of apartments are not the same (Dublin vs Waterford), they are drastically different and it's not exactly what you pay equal what you get. I mean, I am constantly checking Daft for few months now and IMHO Dublin's property market is under huge imbalance. I think there is a big migration going on and there are too many people. You'll get small, not good loking studio place with bed beside microwave and fridge, for 700EUR minimum. 2 or more bedroom apartments are expensive (approx. 1200 and up) and for that reason are shared. And, as I said, you'll be happy to get something among 20 people on viewing while almost every Waterford's apartment is really nice, spacious and well furnished, for less money.
    Just wondering if there is a competition to get them like in Dublin, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Thanks for this.

Well, the prices of apartments are not the same (Dublin vs Waterford), they are drastically different and it's not exactly what you pay equal what you get. I mean, I am constantly checking Daft for few months now and IMHO Dublin's property market is under huge imbalance. I think there is a big migration going on and there are too many people. You'll get small, not good loking studio place with bed beside microwave and fridge, for 700EUR minimum. 2 or more bedroom apartments are expensive (approx. 1200 and up) and for that reason are shared. And, as I said, you'll be happy to get something among 20 people on viewing while almost every Waterford's apartment is really nice, spacious and well furnished, for less money.
    Just wondering if there is a competition to get them like in Dublin, that's it.

I'm from Waterford and I've lived in Dublin the last few years so I know what both places are like and in answer to your question: no, there isn't the same competition to rent as there is in Dublin. You could probably go to an agency in Waterford see a flat/house and if you like it take it the same day if you wanted. If it's a private landlord showing a place you might at the very most get 2/3 couples looking at the place at the same time, but that would be unusual I would say.

johnnykilo wrote: »
    I'm from Waterford and I've lived in Dublin the last few years so I know what both places are like and in answer to your question: no, there isn't the same competition to rent as there is in Dublin. You could probably go to an agency in Waterford see a flat/house and if you like it take it the same day if you wanted. If it's a private landlord showing a place you might at the very most get 2/3 couples looking at the place at the same time, but that would be unusual I would say.

Great to hear that.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'd probably recommend not going to Waterford if you're looking for work. The city is on it's knees pretty much.

If you want to get out of Dublin and move to somewhere smaller/cheaper, would you not considering like Galway/Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

callaway92 wrote: »
    I'd probably recommend not going to Waterford if you're looking for work. The city is on it's knees pretty much.

ah you can debate that. its far better than it was a couple of years ago. with companies like west pharma opening soon and other companies expanding, its looking better for us. of course it wont be as good as places like dublin or maybe even cork etc, but its bouncing back slowly. i could never bring myself to live in somewhere like dublin. we have a very relaxing environment here but of course its not everybody's kettle of fish. best of luck with whatever you chose op.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I know plenty of people finding work here in Waterford recently. Things are picking up.

callaway92 wrote: »

Well, it seems to me that Dublin is on the heels! :)
    If you want to get out of Dublin and move to somewhere smaller/cheaper, would you not considering like Galway/Cork?

I prefer Waterford looks and position. But thanks for suggestion, I've heard that Galway and Cork are nice towns.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ...we have a very relaxing environment here...

That's what I am searching for also.

My conclusion is that it's all relative/individual about getting a job.

Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I prefer Waterford looks and position. But thanks for suggestion, I've heard that Galway and Cork are nice towns.

Thanks everyone!

keep your options open, but do look around the country. many fantastic places around this country but of course you need to work to make it all happen.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    keep your options open, but do look around the country. many fantastic places around this country but of course you need to work to make it all happen.

Cool. Thanks.

Thanks everyone!

I have lived in Waterford all my life and I like the place. I couldn't find work a few years ago no matter how hard I tried, so I went back to college and I am now just finishing a degree in IT. I will leave Waterford when I graduate to find a place with better opportunities, I wouldn't advise someone to move here over other places. I am not bad mouthing the city and the place is picking up lately but its still far behind other cities in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

:)
    I've never been there but that's how it looks like on some pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭manor

Great place to live, great lifestyle choice, nice compact city, friendly people, access to everything within a 30 mile radius,

Lots of job opportunities across different sections,

Cost of living cheaper than in Dublin /Cork

Would not swap it for anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Definitely picking up. A few friends have returned from abroad and have jobs in construction which is the biggest sign of things picking up. Others up in the Pharma factories and then some in IT. All in all i must know 20 people who got work over the past 12 months who either went back to college and graduated or went abroad.

One thing is for certain. I would ****ing HATE to be young, unskilled and looking for work. Miserable existence in Waterford for that crowd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement