Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxsaver - Wicklow to Bray

Options
  • 11-03-2016 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi,

I am in the final stages of getting a job in Bray, I'm just waiting on contracts. One option I have is getting the train from Wicklow to Bray. The company I am going to allows employees to get tax saver tickets. I couldn't quite figure this one out, but would tax saver allow for the purchase of a ticket between Wicklow and Bray? It seems the only option online at taxsaver.ie is to buy a ticket from Wicklow to Connolly, which still would work out cheaper than driving with parking, but I have no need for that.

Does anyone know if taxsaver allows the type of ticket I am after?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

According to
    http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dublin-rosslare
    Its EUR169 for a monthly adult ticket from Wicklow to Bray (Cat B)
    it's usually 10x the monthly ticket for an annual ticket
    so 1690 per annum.
    Irish rail may not sell you such an annual ticket, so bear in mind 12 monthly tickets is 2028, where the Wicklow to Dublin annual ticket is 2280

Your Employer needs to buy a ticket for you, they don't need to buy it from taxsaver.ie, they can buy it in a station (such as Bray Daly)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Taxsaver will sell you a ticket between any two stations, anywhere including journeys starting in Northern Ireland. Price on application if not list in the most frequent options.

Your employer must purchase it for you by ordering through taxsaver.ie It cannot be purchased in person, it must be ordered.

Your employer must purchase it for you by ordering through taxsaver.ie It cannot be purchased in person, it must be ordered.

taxsaver.ie is a part of the CIÉ group.

The Section 118(5A) TCA 1997 scheme is law and applies to any public transport season ticket valid for a month or longer.

Irish rail advertise they sell the monthly ticket I mentioned in my link. It explicitly states it's a ticket office fare.
    For the employer and employee to legally get the tax break, the employer has to buy the ticket for the employee. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

taxsaver.ie is a part of the CIÉ group.

The Section 118(5A) TCA 1997 scheme is law and applies to any public transport season ticket valid for a month or longer.

Irish rail advertise they sell the monthly ticket I mentioned in my link. It explicitly states it's a ticket office fare.
    For the employer and employee to legally get the tax break, the employer has to buy the ticket for the employee. That's all.

It is far easier for the employer to do this online via the Taxsaver website - they get the LEAP card with the ticket loaded on it delivered directly to the employer in advance and there is no requirement to go especially to a station to purchase it.

You seem to have a complete aversion to using the normal methods of purchase and are obsessed with quoting tax legislation?

What's so difficult with using the Taxsaver website?

The ticket the OP wants is not listed on the taxsaver website for one thing, but Irish rail indicate it is available in a station ticket office.

Does a leapcard work from Wicklow town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The ticket the OP wants is not listed on the taxsaver website for one thing, but Irish rail indicate it is available in a station ticket office.

Does a leapcard work from Wicklow town?

It's not listed on the public website - but is available online once the employer logs in.

The taxsaver website clearly states that point to point tickets are available for any station combination.

The tickets are loaded onto personalised Leapcards - the fact that the epurse cannot be used outside the short hop zone is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rua1 wrote: »
    It seems the only option online at taxsaver.ie is to buy a ticket from Wicklow to Connolly
    There are about 200 stations - 200 origins with 200 destinations = 40,000 station pairs.

They are simply listing the most popular tickets.

Advertisement