Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start-up online store options

Options
  • 10-03-2016 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

I have a small business idea that I would like to get off the ground, and for it to be successful, it will need to have an online store.

My business plan is missing the financial aspect of running a website, but as I don't really know what sort of hosting/ecommerce setup i need, I am finding it hard to price!

I would need the following:
    • Domain name
    • Website hosting
    • Shop front, with ability to pay by PayPal or credit card

I would also like to have:
    • The option to get paid on a subscription basis as well as one off
    • Integration with social media like Pinterest/Facebook/Instagram

I've looked at shopify, and woocommerce, but there are so many alternatives, I don't know which would be best. What would you suggest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Without knowing the types of products, number of products, quantity you hope to be selling it would be hard to make a meaning full suggestions.
    If you are looking for someone to help use the "Work Wanted Superthread" at the top of the forum page.

For your domain name, if you have an existing business name that is a good place to start, if not, then a domain name targeting your products might be helpful. If your target customers are global get a .com if mostly Ireland get a .ie.
    Discussions on hosting are not allowed, but don't go for anything "cheap" as a slow website is a sure way to put visitors off.
    On PayPal you can pay with PayPal account or credit/debit card. It is not the cheapest option but while initial volumes are small it is often a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Thanks M.T. D.

I obviously didn't give enough information in my original thread :)

I'm actually looking for combinations that will allow me to estimate the annual costs of the website, e.g. 'a shopify site with a blacknight .ie domain would tick all boxes' (note: i have no idea if it would, or even if having shopify would negate the need for blacknight)

I'm relatively tech savvy, so wouldn't need someone to set it up for me.
    The shop is intended to sell home-made goods to the Irish market, potentially the UK/Europe in the future. I would anticipate between 10 and 20 products available at launch (15 or so tangible products and 5 services like subscriptions or vouchers).
    I know what the name will be, but not the cost of registering the name or who to register with!

ETA: just noticed the moratorium on hosting discussions comment - would it be possible to suggest a vague 'cheap hosting would be something in the region of €x-y a month, you would get move value for money looking at hosts in the region of €w-z'. If that's still discussing, please ignore - i'm not trying to break the rules :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Shopify is a hosted solution, so there's no software to install or hosting/servers for you to provide. They have a 14 day free trial so you can test it yourself. It's a great way to test your market quickly/cheaply.

A common DIY solution would be WordPress with WooCommerce (a WordPress plugin), both free. Domain €10 - €30 p.a. hosting I'd budget €20 - €30 per month for a reasonable shared hosting package in Ireland but don't expect hosting at that end of the market to handle hundred of simultaneous users.

If you go the Shopify route the site is hosted by shopify.
    You still need to register the domain. You mentioned Blacknight they can register .com and .ie some of the other well known names (as advertised on TV) can't do .ie
    I have a feeling that Shopify don't do emails so you would need to host that elsewhere or use gmail hotmail etc.
    If you go the WordPress/Woocommerce route then you need hosting and that will do your emails as well.

Which ever route you take tech savvy or not home made websites tend to look just that. Would you spend money on a website that did not look professional and inspire confidence.
    Sitebuilder, Wordpress etc make it easy for anybody to put a website online, but, (I know there are exceptions) most are never found by visitors and rarely make a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

M.T.D wrote: »
    most are never found by visitors and rarely make a sale.

When you say this, do you mean that they don't use SEO properly, or is it another problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

This is what I use.
    http://www.premiumpress.com/wordpress-shop-theme/ ( it's a wordpress theme - not free like woocommerce but I find it worth it )

I've set up over 30 stores using this software.

I personally hate blacknight and I would avoid them. There control panel is so bad, I cancelled my account with them over this.

I have my own VPS now costing $30/month ( I've loads of domains ), but you won't need something like that at the start.

I wouldn't pay over $10/month for hosting.. buy your domain from namecheap.com ( again personal preference, I've been buying domains for over 15 years and fine them the best by far. )

I've also set up store using other software's and most for ok. The one i linked to above is one of the easiest I've found and thats why I use it.

If you have any questions you can send me PM

Regarding not being found I say that in respect of many self created sites and am not saying this would apply to you.

Yes SEO is a big part of it, site structure, page structure, page content and promotion in other online places including all things Google.
    The site has to be found, has to be indexed, the content needs to match what the potential customers actually search for and to do well in the search rankings you need to do it better than your competition.
    Being simplistic if you call your product a widget and your customers call it a wotsit ..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 itech

Mod edit:

PLEASE READ THE FORUM CHARTER BEFORE POSTING

Advertisement