Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird ID Help... (ID'd as female Stonechat)

Options
  • 10-03-2016 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

I got some photos of a bird today and I'm not sure of its ID. It might be either a Juvenile Stonechat or possibly a Whinchat . I have never seen a Whinchat before so I might be wrong but the bird didnt have a white collar so I'm doubting the Stonechat....

379981.jpg

379982.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Female Stonechat, I think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Yeah I think female Stonechat too. Whinchats are summer migrant - none reported in the country yet this year, as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Nightforce 65X55

379994.jpg

379993.jpg

Yes, Fem. Stonechat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Nightforce; Some lovely images there, no matter what it is! :)

But, yeah; Female Stoney. Probably hatched last year. They're here, now. Let's wish them luck.

• Advertisement

Stigura wrote: »
    They're here, now..

They are resident. Whinchat are the summer visitors and aren't here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Yep. And yet I only ever get them in the spring / summer part of the year. Where do they get to? The coasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

They are resident. Whinchat are the summer visitors and aren't here yet.
    Whinchat on the road to extinction sadly. Two main populations left, Shannon callows and coronation plantation. With the extinction of corncrake on the Callows, there will be less late meadow cutting and will have a negative effect on whinchat. Extensive scrub burning in the Coronation plantation will have a huge effect on whinchat. The future is bleak, not even a GLAS plan for them.

Advertisement