Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muine Bheag Vocational School Closing

Options
  • 10-03-2016 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

http://kclr96fm.com/muine-bheag-vocational-school-closure/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

I think that it is a really sad day when this happens. I know it has struggled in last couple of years numbers wise but I am sure that would change in the next couple of years.

I presume and hope the teachers will be placed in other schools. I wonder what the future of the building will be. Hopefully it will not be allowed to become a derelict eye sore like so many other places in the town

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Hope the sports hall and gym don't go to waste now, there's not much facilities in the town as it is and it would be a real shame to see such a new building sit unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Do they make the teachers redundant or do they find jobs for them in other schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I honestly don't know in this case as I am not sure if they are employed by the Dept of Education or by the old V.E.C.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Do they make the teachers redundant or do they find jobs for them in other schools?
    It depends on the type of contract the teachers have. Am I cynical to think this was announced AFTER the election?

It depends on the type of contract the teachers have. Am I cynical to think this was announced AFTER the election?

Just because you are cynical doesn't mean that you are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

There's an e-Petition been set up (would've thought the "M" & the "B" should've been capitalised?) & since it launched Saturday it's gained 658/1000 Signatures.

The comments though lead me to believe English hasn't been focused upon either currently or down through the years going by the replies (including one mad yoke who implores us to leave the EU, apparently this'll solve the issue?).

Knock yourselves out > http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/prevent-muine-bheag-vocational-school-from-closing/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=button

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    There's an e-Petition been set up (would've thought the "M" & the "B" should've been capitalised?) & since it launched Saturday it's gained 658/1000 Signatures.

The comments though lead me to believe English hasn't been focused upon either currently or down through the years going by the replies (including one mad yoke who implores us to leave the EU, apparently this'll solve the issue?).

Knock yourselves out > http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/prevent-muine-bheag-vocational-school-from-closing/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=button

I wonder what 1000 signatures will achieve? Even 10,000. I'd say this decision was made a good while ago and probably won't be changed. Sad to see it go though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I wonder what 1000 signatures will achieve? Even 10,000. I'd say this decision was made a good while ago and probably won't be changed. Sad to see it go though.
    You'd be surprised. I was involved with a campaign to fund a particular rug and once the petition went over 5,000 signatures, it began to focus some politicians' minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

You could be correct in thinking the announcement was held back until after the election though I'm more inclined to think the school is being closed to coincide with the opening of the new one in Carlow, transfer students and teachers to make it justifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Hope the sports hall and gym don't go to waste now, there's not much facilities in the town as it is and it would be a real shame to see such a new building sit unused.

Isn't the sports hall not being used due to the fact the school has no public liability insurance?
    Muine Bheag has been going down the drain for many years. Too much cronyism, established business owners & politicians looking after their own bank balances to the detriment of the town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Isn't the sports hall not being used due to the fact the school has no public liability insurance?
    Muine Bheag has been going down the drain for many years. Too much cronyism, established business owners & politicians looking after their own bank balances to the detriment of the town

I honestly don't know, I only pass through when visiting my parents but I know just after it opened it was used for indoor soccer cos a few lads I know used it. Having said that I often run in to the same lads down at the IT playing 5 a side so maybe they can't use the school anymore? Must ask them next time I see them. Thats a real pity, total waste of a building.

Couldn't agree more about the local "politicians", see they were all out making their presence known at that meeting and trying to put the blame on everyone but themselves. It was no big secret that attendances were way down and thats going back a good few years now, for the Councillors to plead ignorance now is laughable. I saw Jennifer Murnane suggest on Facebook it was deliberately held back until after the election but Pat Deering replied to her post in a pretty hilarious way, worth looking up if you get a minute but doesn't show Jennifer in a great light anyway.

I honestly don't know, I only pass through when visiting my parents but I know just after it opened it was used for indoor soccer cos a few lads I know used it. Having said that I often run in to the same lads down at the IT playing 5 a side so maybe they can't use the school anymore? Must ask them next time I see them. Thats a real pity, total waste of a building.

Couldn't agree more about the local "politicians", see they were all out making their presence known at that meeting and trying to put the blame on everyone but themselves. It was no big secret that attendances were way down and thats going back a good few years now, for the Councillors to plead ignorance now is laughable. I saw Jennifer Murnane suggest on Facebook it was deliberately held back until after the election but Pat Deering replied to her post in a pretty hilarious way, worth looking up if you get a minute but doesn't show Jennifer in a great light anyway.

Yeah I only go to visit my family too but was told its not been used too often. All that money put into it over the last few years & now its to close.
    Will be interesting to see " who " has an interest in the building after it closes.
    Niall Quinn was going to do a lot with the Manor House & it would have got people going to Bagenalstown but unfortunately certain people objected so he left. I heard a certain politician has bought it on the cheap....funny how that happens

& the numbers were down because they were refusing to take pupils

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Help!!!! wrote: »
    & the numbers were down because they were refusing to take pupils

How long has that been going on if it was just the start of this year maybe they knew it was gonna close

racso1975 wrote: »
    How long has that been going on if it was just the start of this year maybe they knew it was gonna close

From what I heard its been at least a year or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I'm not shocked its being closed down, I went there and it was a dreadful school, with the exception of maybe 2 teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Taken from the Prevent Muine Bheag Vocational School from closing facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/savembvs/

We are delighted to announce that the ETB have lifted the enrolment embargo for September, meaning the school will now be taking in students in September!

ken wrote: »
    Taken from the Prevent Muine Bheag Vocational School from closing facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/savembvs/

We are delighted to announce that the ETB have lifted the enrolment embargo for September, meaning the school will now be taking in students in September!

If they are taking in students in September, does that mean that the closing date is pushed back by another year?

Advertisement