Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass Waste

Options
  • 10-03-2016 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm interested to know what people do with their grass waste. I'm based in Cavan and have a large lawn - a fifth of my lawn would easily fill one of the compost wheelie bins so that's not an option. Composting isn't an option either as there's simply way too much. 2 years ago I just dumped it in a corner of the garden and let it decompose into dung. Then I loaded it on to a trailer and took it to the local dump where I'd a bit of hassle persuading them it was garden waste as it no longer resembled grass! I'm now faced with the same trip again this year and I don't really want to have this stack of grass/dung in the corner of my garden all year round. I have got quotes of €50+ from landscapers and they'd take the grass away with them which seems reasonable enough given the size of the lawn but paying out €50 every 2/3 weeks over 8/9 months adds up too. Maybe I'll just have to go with that but was interested to hear what others do?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a suburban garden and don't bother collecting it; i leave it on the lawn (i use an old style push mower).
    you could consider a mulching mower - chops the cuttings up fine, and leave them back on the lawn, but they don't cope with wet or long grass well, i'm told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

If you can dedicate yourself to cutting the lawn every 5-7 days, you won't need to collect the clippings.
    If you do stack the grass in a corner, turn it with a pike once or twice a year and it should break-down much quicker, removing your need for the dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Frequent and light cutting leaving the cuttings on top is a traditional solution, another is to use a mulching lawn mower are the solutions to avoid accumulating grass waste.

At € 80/collection, you could easily fund a programmable robo mower ( a good model will cost c € 1,500-€2,000) to do the cutting for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Get friendly with your local farmer and he will take it away for free and spead it on one of his fields for fertlizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

buy 2 lambs, give up cutting the grass and youve meat for the freezer come winter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

TheBody wrote: »
    Get friendly with your local farmer and he will take it away for free and spead it on one of his fields for fertlizer.

Farmer may not want it due to neospora.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

With a lawn that big its simpler juts to dedicate a corner and build a compost heap. Cut the grass regularly and pile it in,. It should decompose pretty much over the winter. Build a small vegetable of flower bed and dig it into that each spring.

Advertisement