Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt from other EU country

Options
  • 10-03-2016 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

In your opinion, can they collect debt from other EU member countries? I have this other company here in Ireland collecting debt I owe to another EU country.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clocks

CanyonUser wrote: »
    In your opinion, can they collect debt from other EU member countries? I have this other company here in Ireland collecting debt I owe to another EU country.

Yes the debt can be collected from another EU country. The Brussels Convention allows the enforceability of judgements across borders : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brussels_Regime

The company here has to obey all the rules of debt collection. Is it a private agency or the Sheriff ?

You should also have notice of the decision awarding the debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CanyonUser

It's old student loan, I just feel I'm not in equal opportunity to pay up this debt as the citizens living in that country are entitled to all kinds of social benefits that can be used to pay old student loans, such as they have free childcare, in Ireland it's 800 a month which I have to pay as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

It's old student loan, I just feel I'm not in equal opportunity to pay up this debt as the citizens living in that country are entitled to all kinds of social benefits that can be used to pay old student loans, such as they have free childcare, in Ireland it's 800 a month which I have to pay as well.

But you chose to give up these benefits by leaving "that country".

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CanyonUser

In the same way could the costs be given up as I did with the benefits?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,180 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

In the same way could the costs be given up as I did with the benefits?

no. you chose to give up those benefits. you cannot choose to give up a debt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement