Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence / dead dog

Options
  • 10-03-2016 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

The TV licence inspector knocked on the door of the apartment the other night. He asked if I had a TV and I said yes.
    I qualified this by informing him that the TV was there from a previous tenant and does not work.
    I know these guys here a lot of stories but what I said was true.
    I am not signed up to any provider or have saorview etc nor have I ever been.
    I genuinely do not watch TV and I have never owned owned a TV.
    Today I received a notice of legal proceeding in my name plus a demand for the licence.

This to me sounds like paying a canine licence for a dog found dead in my back garden.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not at all. If you have equipment capable of receiving a TV signal, you are liable to pay a license. This would include an old vcr stuffed in the attic, even if you didn't have a TV to play it on.

If you don't want to pay a license fee, chuck the TV in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rs500ff

i have, I threw it out that evening.
    What can I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not a lot. At the time the inspector called, you were in breach. Argue your case if you like, but be prepared for a 'too bad. Pay the fine'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

About 15 years ago I lived in a place in South Dublin, bit of a dive, and the TV would not work. It came on and stayed blue screen. TV man called around, and asked if I had a TV. I said "yeah, but it doesnt work". He asked to take a look, so I let him in and he foostered around with it for a while.

I offered him a tenner if he could fix it, but he choose to ignore my butter knife sharp wit, and told me that we would not have to get a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

endacl wrote: »
    Not a lot. At the time the inspector called, you were in breach.
    That is arguable, as he said it was not working.

I think the law does have some bit about being "repairable" so you still need a licence. But I reckoned this could be to close a loophole where people could simply take the fuse out of the plug and declare it broken.

I have heard of people taking out tuners or breaking them on purpose so it functions like a monitor.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html
    If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it

My plasma TV has no tuner, it has a slot to take one so I wondered if this would then be considered to be a "capable of being repaired". There has go to be some stage where it is not considered repairable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement