Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Jake "the snake" Roberts

  • 09-03-2016 10:07pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 16,483 ✭✭✭✭


    Just watching his recent documentary, it's very good.
    "if a man has enough power, he can speak softly, and everyone will listen"
    His promos were spooky- at least they were when i first saw them. He might not have been the greatest technical wrestler, but his character, and ability to tell a story was both brilliant and unique.


Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker


    Absolutely exceptional talker and a master of in ring psychology, I mean, looking back on old clips it's ridiculous how much ahead of everyone he was.

    Guy's a complete sociopath though, absolutely everything he says and does feels like it has some ulterior motive to it. It's a large part of why he's so incredibly talented but also why I wouldn't give him the time of day,


    As an aside, I find it really odd how so many people have seemed to side with the narrative that the makers of Beyond the Mat exploited him, there's nothing in the documentary that honestly seems that harsh. He was bottoming out at the time and absolutely angling for a bit of a pity fest from it that's subsequently quite embarrassing, the only thing that's different to that one as opposed to other things that cover him is that it's the one where his family are given a significant focus to counter his. Like, he's okay being the righteous dude admitting he's a bad person and a bad father, but when the documentary present evidence that he is a bad father, that's not on.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig


    Loved him from first survivor series where he teamed with Savage, Steamboat, Hacksaw and Beefcake. Thought he was a better bad guy though. Anyome remember letting the cobra bite Macho Man?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac


    How could anyone forget the greatest afters of a wedding this side of the time Marilyn Manson had his in Kilkenny? I would have loved to have had an invitation to that party myself.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero


    How could anyone forget the greatest afters of a wedding this side of the time Marilyn Manson had his in Kilkenny? I would have loved to have had an invitation to that party myself.
    ???


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Cool_CM


    My everlasting memory of him:



    They wouldn't get away with that nowadays!


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu


    Feud with the Model was good. Never had a shot at the belt(yeah McMahon I said belt! :D) either.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev


    ricero wrote: »
    ???

    Probably about the post-Elizabeth&Macho Man wedding where Jake gave them a cobra snake in a box.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,483 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre


    Absolutely exceptional talker and a master of in ring psychology, I mean, looking back on old clips it's ridiculous how much ahead of everyone he was.

    Guy's a complete sociopath though, absolutely everything he says and does feels like it has some ulterior motive to it. It's a large part of why he's so incredibly talented but also why I wouldn't give him the time of day,


    As an aside, I find it really odd how so many people have seemed to side with the narrative that the makers of Beyond the Mat exploited him, there's nothing in the documentary that honestly seems that harsh. He was bottoming out at the time and absolutely angling for a bit of a pity fest from it that's subsequently quite embarrassing, the only thing that's different to that one as opposed to other things that cover him is that it's the one where his family are given a significant focus to counter his. Like, he's okay being the righteous dude admitting he's a bad person and a bad father, but when the documentary present evidence that he is a bad father, that's not on.

    he was, as you say ahead of his time, he could captivate you with his promo work.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzE9UgLGjWs

    one of my favourite promos of all time

    As for who he is, It is interesting you say that about watching Beyond the Mat, because while watching it I thought he was faking being contrite too. So you could be right about his character being so good because it's just an extension of who he really is. Still, that said, i'd like to think he is a good guy underneath it all.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig


    Ruu wrote: »
    Feud with the Model was good. Never had a shot at the belt(yeah McMahon I said belt! :D) either.

    Was it the Model? I remember the one with Ravishing Rick Rude where he tried to give a 'rude awakening' to Jakes wife. Didn't Jake pull Rude's tights (emblazened with Cheryl's face) off him in the ring sending Rude running back to the locker cupping his crown jewels:pac:. Classic stuff


  • Registered Users Posts: 37,318 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009


    Where is the documentary located YouTube ??. Want to watch it before I watch sting doc


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu


    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Was it the Model? I remember the one with Ravishing Rick Rude where he tried to give a 'rude awakening' to Jakes wife. Didn't Jake pull Rude's tights (emblazened with Cheryl's face) off him in the ring sending Rude running back to the locker cupping his crown jewels:pac:. Classic stuff

    Yeah he was "blinded" by the Model's fragrance on Brother Love leading to a blindfold match.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker


    As for who he is, It is interesting you say that about watching Beyond the Mat, because while watching it I thought he was faking being contrite too. So you could be right about his character being so good because it's just an extension of who he really is. Still, that said, i'd like to think he is a good guy underneath it all.
    Dunno about good but there's a sympathetic figure for sure, just because he's very aware of it and tries to use it to his benefit doesn't cancel that out. Like, he generally doesn't lie about things, he hides his motives.

    In fairness to him, there really haven't been too many cases of him pulling people down with him. I'd be a lot more comfortable with a selfish but shrewd operator like Jake than like Scott Hall.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig


    Ruu wrote: »
    Yeah he was "blinded" by the Model's fragrance on Brother Love leading to a blindfold match.

    Ah that's right ha.
    Sprayed with Arrogance.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,483 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre


    Dunno about good but there's a sympathetic figure for sure, just because he's very aware of it and tries to use it to his benefit doesn't cancel that out. Like, he generally doesn't lie about things, he hides his motives.

    In fairness to him, there really haven't been too many cases of him pulling people down with him. I'd be a lot more comfortable with a selfish but shrewd operator like Jake than like Scott Hall.


    Have you heard his podcast with Stone Cold?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R53UditX4lw&ebc=ANyPxKofSXlfW3giCdyWWhk798tV-476ojNdR_O_VQkik-th01g5md3HXlawvz2FtlGquUra_bMfLiIymmEKbU4vJ35AAZAwwg

    The ending is very poignant and insightful.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond


    Has anyone watched his movie yet?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac


    ricero wrote: »
    ???
    I would have loved to have been at the afters of Elizabeth and Randy Savage's wedding.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev


    Has anyone watched his movie yet?

    The Diamond Dallas Page documentary? Yeah I watched a few months ago when it popped up on YouTube. It's quite good, pretty much what you'd expect - a man teetering on the edge of death finds a new meaning to life with a bit of help from friends.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS




    Rude's strut just before Jake gets to him, and Heenan's leap. Genius stuff.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,321 ✭✭✭✭briany


    Amazing in-ring presence. The guy Bray Wyatt seems to want to be, but probably never will. I don't really mean that as a slight because Bray Wyatt, or the guy who portrays him I should say, seems to come from a good happy upbringing, whereas Jake's life has been filled with a lot of darkness and that's helped him be The Snake. A boon for his career but a personal curse, also.

    His new documentary with DDP is alright, but I found it a bit depressing because of Jake's aforementioned darkness. He's not really a guy who there'll ever be a neat happy ending for 'cause he's still who he is. He's just that guy trying to stay on the straight and narrow.


Advertisement