Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck on Internal/External Division.

Options
  • 09-03-2016 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Was wondering if someone could help me here. The following is the question.
    This question comes from Text and Tests 4 LC HL math book

10. A(4,-3) and B (-2,0) are the end points of a line segment. The point P(2-2) divides [AB] internally in the ratio h:k Find the ratio h:k

So I cant get this, its the first time we have been given a question requiring internal/external division without a ratio. The only hint our teacher gave us is that it comes out to a simulatenous equation near the end. I know you can use the line distance formula, and then get its ratio 1:2 but I would rather it in the internal division formula as that is what our teacher would expect. Tried googling etc and found a post from 2012 on this exact question, but no one solved it in internal/external division form. My attempt got me to two equations that are simply wrong and I dont understand where I went wrong.

If you can help thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

You didnt say what the formula is, google points to this in which i would suggest putting in the values you know Xa, Ya, Xp, ... etc. then you will end up with simultaneous equations precisely as your teacher said.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭platypus

conorkvngh wrote: »
    Was wondering if someone could help me here. The following is the question.
    This question comes from Text and Tests 4 LC HL math book

10. A(4,-3) and B (-2,0) are the end points of a line segment. The point P(2-2) divides [AB] internally in the ratio h:k Find the ratio h:k

So I cant get this, its the first time we have been given a question requiring internal/external division without a ratio. The only hint our teacher gave us is that it comes out to a simulatenous equation near the end. I know you can use the line distance formula, and then get its ratio 1:2 but I would rather it in the internal division formula as that is what our teacher would expect. Tried googling etc and found a post from 2012 on this exact question, but no one solved it in internal/external division form. My attempt got me to two equations that are simply wrong and I dont understand where I went wrong.

If you can help thanks!!
    Not really sure why you would go near any equations for this question,seems an overcomplicated approach. Id probably use translations, ie movement from A to P is -2,1 find the movement from P to B and compare to get your ratio

You can also just use distance formula to get length AP and BP then work out the ratio

In general I find using translations for internal/external division of a Line segment an easier and more intuitive method than the formulae, especially for less straightforward questions, so I don't usually use those formulae at all. Obv nothing wrong with using them, up to you really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

A trick is to recognise that if you are dealing with a straight line, you only need to consider one of the coordinates, e.g. the x-coordinate of the points. So you could consider that A=4, B=-2 and these two points are divided by P=2. Draw that out on x-axis. How does the point P=2 divide the line segment running from -2 to 4.

Alternatively, taking the y-coordinates of the points, you have a line segment running from -3 to 0 divided by a point at -2.

You should get the same result whether you take the x or y-coordinates and you should be able to do it visually.

Advertisement