Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding ticket in France

Options
  • 09-03-2016 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,

When we were in Disneyland Paris last March, we got a speeding fine (just a tiny but over the limit!). We were in a rented car.

The fine arrived to our home address a couple of weeks later. It looked very official - from an actual government department and everything. €180

We duly ignored it. BUT my husband is going to France next month with my son and their rugby team. Is there any chance this will come up when they scan his passport? Are they that efficient?

Thanks a mill for any advice!

Ann

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

annieg wrote: »
    Hi all,

When we were in Disneyland Paris last March, we got a speeding fine (just a tiny but over the limit!). We were in a rented car.

The fine arrived to our home address a couple of weeks later. It looked very official - from an actual government department and everything. €180

We duly ignored it. BUT my husband is going to France next month with my son and their rugby team. Is there any chance this will come up when they scan his passport? Are they that efficient?

Thanks a mill for any advice!

Ann

No they are not that efficient!
    Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TheRealPONeill

The car rental company provided your address so check your credit card to see if they also slapped on their "processing" fee for providing that information to the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

TBH op it is bad form not paying the fine.

I wouldn't be too sure that the French police don't have it on record.

A friend was stopped in France before and charged with "careless driving" (a little different I know). Anyway he just went back to Ireland and didn't report to police station or at fine. 2 years later he arrived in France on rugby trip and within 24 hours was arrested at his hotel in front of family and held without bail for 2 weeks.

Different circumstances but important to respect the laws of other jurisdictions. Easier and piece of mind to just pay your fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.drive-france.com/blog/speeding-fines-france/
    UK holiday makers who go for a “fly drive” vacation have always been liable for fines when driving the hire car illegally. It's usually in the small print of the rental agreement but it is standard practise that the money for the fine is automatically charged to the credit card that was used to hire the car and/or pay for the deposit.
    Check your credit card and pay the fine. Bad form indeed.

Advertisement