Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new Metroidvania game.

Options
  • 09-03-2016 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Firstly, apologies to anyone who hates the term 'Metroidvania' but at least you'll know what I'm looking for. I'm looking for some new games to play at the moment. I'm specifically looking for a Metroidvania style game.

I recently beat Ori and the Blind Forest and I enjoyed that a lot. I've also played and enjoyed Guacamelee, Rogue Legacy, Strider, Outland, Shantae and the Pirates Curse and The Swapper.

Am I missing anything good?

I've got a PS4 and recently got a new gaming PC so have Steam. Any suggestions just let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Axiom Verge?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Axiom Verge is meant to be the best metroidvania in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Dust, An Elysian Tale.... kind of.... I dunno, I'm not a Metroid player... But I enjoyed Dust and it was free with PS Plus a while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Not really metroidvania but Super meat boy and Rayman Legends are both worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Not really metroidvania but Super meat boy and Rayman Legends are both worth a look.

Super Meat Boy is good but I'd say it is just a straight up platformer as is Rayman. I really don't like the way Rayman controls though.

I'll probably check out Axiom Verge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Definitely Axiom Verge, loved it.

Also check out Teslagrad, Shovel Knight (to a certain extent), Rex Rocket and maybe Steamworld Dig?

Mr E wrote: »
    Definitely Axiom Verge, loved it.

Also check out Teslagrad, Shovel Knight (to a certain extent), Rex Rocket and maybe Steamworld Dig?

Ah, Teslagrad. I started that on the Vita a while ago. It was free on PS+, I just forgot about it. Shows how much you value 'free' games.

Shovel Knight and Steamworld Dig are both excellent games too. Finished and loved both.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just had a quick look through my steam library..

Check out Valdis Story: Abyssal City, and Unepic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

La-Mulana is pretty ace too.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭thegame983

Shadow Complex. It was free on the PC until very recently I think. Might still be. Just google it. You will find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The Fall is a bit more puzzle oriented, but very good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Witness, in which knowledge is a morph ball and a really ****ing hard line puzzle is basically Mother Brain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gizmo wrote: »
    La-Mulana is pretty ace too.

La-Mulana is bloody amazing but it's also incredibly tough. You really need a notebook with you to take down clues and maybe a few hints from gamefaqs when you get desperately stuck. I loved every minute of it but it's a real investment.

I liked Axiom Verge but I just couldn't get away from it pretty much being metroid without Samus :(

Stealth inc 2 was fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Momodora: Reverie under the moonlight seems like a pretty good Metrovania which got some very good review scores. Haven't actually played it, but the aesthetic/theme/art direction for the game might be off putting for some people as it is for me

Salt and Sanctuary gets released on PS4 next week and PC at a later date. Though it might be more of a straight up 2D platformer where you kill enemies in your path with what seems like a deep combat/combo system. Heavily influenced but the Dark Souls series as it has been dubbed "2D Dark Souls"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Ghost Song

http://www.ghostsonggame.com/

It's not released just yet, but showing remarkable promise. I signed up just after the kickstarter campaign, and can't wait to play it.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Ghost Song

http://www.ghostsonggame.com/

It's not released just yet, but showing remarkable promise. I signed up just after the kickstarter campaign, and can't wait to play it.

Some of the gifs on the site for that really reminded of darkroot garden/basin from dark souls only 2D :)

I bought Axiom Verge last night and managed to play about 30 minutes. Seems pretty good so far. It really doesn't give you any clues about what direction to be taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I loved Axiom Verge when I played it recently too. Also heard good things about the aquatic adventure of the last human and enjoyed Castlevania: Mirror of fate.
    Not really metroidvania but Mark of the Ninja was a great game that I played soon after Axiom. Did you pick up Xeodrifter on psplus?

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »
    Did you pick up Xeodrifter on psplus?

If it's on PS+then I'm sure I did.

Strider Pc?

edit - mentioned in op post!

I'm going to tell you to stay the hell away from Castlevain Mirror of Fate. It's what happens when you create a Metroidvania game with a developer that completely misses what makes a metroidvania so good. You get locked into rooms with hit sponge enemies that take forever to kill which kills any pace the game might have and the majority of abilities you get to unlock new paths in the castle might as well be just coloured key cards. Unlike others in the genre where abilities add new moves to utilise, the ones in mirror of fate usually have limited use, mostly just to unlock a new route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm going to tell you to stay the hell away from Castlevain Mirror of Fate. It's what happens when you create a Metroidvania game with a developer that completely misses what makes a metroidvania so good. You get locked into rooms with hit sponge enemies that take forever to kill which kills any pace the game might have and the majority of abilities you get to unlock new paths in the castle might as well be just coloured key cards. Unlike others in the genre where abilities add new moves to utilise, the ones in mirror of fate usually have limited use, mostly just to unlock a new route.
    Was Mirrors of Fate not meant to be more of a 2.5D handheld version of the Lords of Shadow series? So like, more straight up action platformer than a true Metroidvania game?

gizmo wrote: »
    Was Mirrors of Fate not meant to be more of a 2.5D handheld version of the Lords of Shadow series? So like, more straight up action platformer than a true Metroidvania game?

It was a metroidvania game where they put the combat system of the LoS games into it and it just did not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,981 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

downloaded Salt and Sanctuary last night , only played half hour or so, but it really is sort of Dark Souls 2D. Salt instead of souls, alters instead of bonfires, and leveling up of weapons. even the weapon stats are similar, and the player attributes.

Still copying parts of dark souls is good in my opinion, and for €18 it looks good value. plenty lads on twitch playing if ye want to have a look at it, and reviews are good, at 85% at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

2smiggy wrote: »
    downloaded Salt and Sanctuary last night , only played half hour or so, but it really is sort of Dark Souls 2D. Salt instead of souls, alters instead of bonfires, and leveling up of weapons. even the weapon stats are similar, and the player attributes.

Still copying parts of dark souls is good in my opinion, and for €18 it looks good value. plenty lads on twitch playing if ye want to have a look at it, and reviews are good, at 85% at the moment

pc version can't come soon enough :(

Advertisement