Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Pokémon myths did you fall for as a child?

• 09-03-2016 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

Or even recently.

What schoolyard rumours, internet rumours and misinformation have you fallen for?

I tried to move that truck more than once and as a child I genuinely believed that holding down B while the pokéball was wobbling would make the pokémon more likely to be caught.

I'm proud to say I didn't fall for "Pikablu" largely because I thought it was a stupid name and there was no way they'd name a Pokémon that.

Leave yours below.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Constantly tapping A + B as you throw the pokeball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Bills back garden. :'( I hoped beyond hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Bills back garden. :'( I hoped beyond hope.

Oh yeah, I feel for that one too. Spent so long trying to get into it, tried all kinds of HMs on the walls etc.

If they ever remake Gen 1 again I think they should put in a Mew encounter at that truck and make Bill's garden a real thing. Maybe they could do a Friend Safari thing and have it be in Bill's garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Not a Pokemon game but I remember believing that you could unlock Pikachu in Mario Kart Super Circuit for the GBA. Nearly sure it was from the Guru on Gamezville on Sky One. Mortifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

For me it was hammering the A button when throwing a poke ball to increase the chance of a capture

• Advertisement

Just remembered another one that I fell for.

Rumour went around the schoolyard that if you beat the league 100 times then you can get Mew.

Yes I did beat the league 100 times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

For me it was hammering the A button when throwing a poke ball to increase the chance of a capture

Wait - does holding down and A when you throw the ball then hitting the A button at the second the ball closed not help? What about tracing the outline of the ball as fast as you can in between ball wobbles in X/Y?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I remember believing the story that when the space shuttle in Emerald hit the 100 successful launches, you could go to space.

It was just a way of counting time in the game :(

Angron wrote: »
    I remember believing the story that when the space shuttle in Emerald hit the 100 successful launches, you could go to space.

It was just a way of counting time in the game :(

At least you got to go to space very briefly in ORAS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Fell for a stupid one, where someone insisted you could get the SS Anne to return through some arbitrary accomplishment. Was later told about the fainting thing.

The world of early 'mon fandom/myths was my first introduction to trolling. Saw it told on a few occasions you could access the PokeGods or somesuch by taking a screwdriver to a particular part of the RBY's board. Given I wasn't the brightest child (and have only gotten worse with age), it's a marvel I didn't give it a bash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Yep, I think we're all guilty of the pokeball thing, I used to hold B after the 2nd wobble.

Also, I remember believing If you beat the league with just weedles you would get a Red Scyther??

I think I got like 3 weedles to level 60 or something before realising It wasn't even going to be worth It.

Yep, I think we're all guilty of the pokeball thing, I used to hold B after the 2nd wobble.

Also, I remember believing If you beat the league with just weedles you would get a Red Scyther??

I think I got like 3 weedles to level 60 or something before realising It wasn't even going to be worth It.

That one's new to me! You got your red Scyther in Gen 2, sorta :D

There were definitely some kids on the playground thinking to themselves "I wonder what crap I can get the Pokémon kids to fall for."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Funny to see the pretty much all of us fell for the holding down B myth to increase the likelihood of a catch, my interpretation of it was we also had to hold down the right key as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Here's the maths into how pokemon are actually caught

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

The first time I heard about the holding B, a guy caught a ****ing Taurus in safari zone in one throw without it running away. Don't know if it was just a perfect coincidence but anybody who remembers the old games well knows how hard it was to catch a Taurus. Arguably the hardest to catch in the whole game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I thought it used to be down and B i used it every time and very rarely they got away has been proven to be false ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

Someone figured out the probability of catching pokemon in different states and different levels. There was no trick to catching anything, just luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

That you could go to the orange islands if you completed your pokedex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I actually used to tap A at the precise moment the ball would wobble because I was led to believe that the timing decreased the chances that the pokémon would break out on that wobble. :o
    I still find myself doing it on occasion as a sort of ritual - I'm just so used to it!

Advertisement