Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balancing carbon fiber properties for drone frame

Options
  • 08-03-2016 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just on the off chance that anyone here has a good knowledge of material science, I am looking for some advice on the right kind of carbon fiber to use.

I have done lots of research but don't have the practical knowledge.

I have access to CNC machinery and want to build my own mini drone frame (250mm diagonal size). These frames get crashed a lot into trees, concrete etc, so it has to be able to withstand a good beating (therefore high modulus would not be suitable due to its brittleness), this would be the highest propriety. Secondly, the frame would need to be light, the lighter the better. I know this is contradictory but a balance is what I am after.

I know of the different properties of weave, stiffness, tensile strength, weave density, cost and weight, but I'm not sure what to choose.

For example a decent frame on the market right now is this (http://impulserc.com/alien-5-fpv-frame). As far as I know it is a twill weave on 3K density. But there is no other information available.

TLDR: Basically, I am asking, what is the best carbon fiber grade with lower modulus, high tensile strength, high density, but also needs to be reasonably light.

Advertisement