Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leather Tinrimh & Leabhar Rolla

Options
  • 08-03-2016 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Are the daily roll call books available anywhere? If we knew where an ancestor had lived, we could probably guess the school they attended, would be interesting in seeing the attendance or any other notes.

Ar maybe I'm wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I found some of my family on Findmypast. They have National School Registers on the site.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A great number of them are still in the back of dusty cupboards in the schools.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, very few have made their way back into state hands. The NAI has a list of ones available on their website.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There've been cases of them being thrown out or found abandoned in moved/closed schools so there will never be an intact set even if they sought to get them all returned to state ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

About two weeks ago, my national school had a heritage night and they had all the old roll books from their beginning up till last year on display. I could find my grandfather and his brothers and sisters, my father and his brothers and sister and myself in them. It might be worth mentioning to your relevant schools to do something similar or maybe offer an transcription service to them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

A local school for its 100 year old anniversary published a booklet which had pics of school rolls from the early 1900s and class photos from 1920s. It was really delightful and a great resource for local genealogists.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

School my dad went to did similar; book had the first few decades of rolls and every class photo they could find up to now - so as well as my dad, my cousins and some great-aunts/uncles were in it. My grandfather went to the other school in the parish though!

Some schools will be VERY resistant to being asked and some will welcome you in with open arms

Advertisement