Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt query

Options
  • 08-03-2016 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

I've recently acquired a 2004 Volvo V70 2.4D. It has been a while since I had to get a timing belt changed. What would be a reasonable price to get this changed? I got one quote from a local mechanic for 360 euro parts + labour. That sounded about tight to me. But my dad helped me get a quote from a mechanic I don't know and that was €180, which seems a bit cheap?

Should I just go for the cheaper quote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You should do all the belts at the same time on that engine, if the aux belt fails it can whip the timing belt off as well.
    Budget for the lot + tensioner pulleys as well and waterpump as well to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From both mechs, get an itemised quote. What do they intend to do, and what brand parts do they intend to use.

Then you have more info for your comparison.

Advertisement