Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Friendly hotels / accomadation

Options
  • 08-03-2016 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I would appreciate any advise on this... im looking to do a weekend away with my other half and 11 year old cocker this year - i dont want a place that says pet friendly but yet the kennel them out the back or they dog aren't allowed anywhere inside a hotel etc...

im looking for somewhere nice that allows well behaved dogs (on lead) in the bar area etc... if not a hotel some self catering place that allows dogs and maybe a locale pub within walking distance (that also allows dogs)... the theme is a weekend away with my dog don't want to go away and leave him alone in the room etc

any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

cocker5 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I would appreciate any advise on this... im looking to do a weekend away with my other half and 11 year old cocker this year - i dont want a place that says pet friendly but yet the kennel them out the back or they dog aren't allowed anywhere inside a hotel etc...

im looking for somewhere nice that allows well behaved dogs (on lead) in the bar area etc... if not a hotel some self catering place that allows dogs and maybe a locale pub within walking distance (that also allows dogs)... the theme is a weekend away with my dog don't want to go away and leave him alone in the room etc

any advise would be greatly appreciated!

A lot of ROI places seem hesitant to openly state they welcome dogs. I don't know if they think it'll attract undesirables like the HSE or thugs but it's really a pity. Northern Ireland has a number of dog-friendly premises. Take a look at Dog Lovers NI (I didn't name it!) on Facebook and there are places all over to stay, to eat, to have a libation. Pembrokeshire, Norfolk and the West Country also have a wide variety of dog-friendly places to stay, eat, walk and drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Dubl07 wrote: »
    A lot of ROI places seem hesitant to openly state they welcome dogs. I don't know if they think it'll attract undesirables like the HSE or thugs but it's really a pity. Northern Ireland has a number of dog-friendly premises. Take a look at Dog Lovers NI (I didn't name it!) on Facebook and there are places all over to stay, to eat, to have a libation. Pembrokeshire, Norfolk and the West Country also have a wide variety of dog-friendly places to stay, eat, walk and drink.

thanks a million - much appreciated i will look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

I stayed here with the OH and the pooch;

http://www.aghadoeheights.com/

Just make sure to mention it when you book, as they have specified pet-friendly rooms.

Another review with a pet;

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserReviews-g3513836-d212646-r150413018-Aghadoe_Heights_Hotel_Spa-Aghadoe_Killarney_County_Kerry.html

Should add, They let us on the bar's terrace - not in the pub!

I stayed here with the OH and the pooch;

http://www.aghadoeheights.com/

Just make sure to mention it when you book, as they have specified pet-friendly rooms.

Another review with a pet;

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserReviews-g3513836-d212646-r150413018-Aghadoe_Heights_Hotel_Spa-Aghadoe_Killarney_County_Kerry.html

Should add, They let us on the bar's terrace - not in the pub!

Brilliant! Thank you!! What time of year did you stay? im thinking between Christmas and NYE

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Almost all the Landmark trust properties allow dogs - have a look on their website for details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Brilliant! Thank you!! What time of year did you stay? im thinking between Christmas and NYE

No hassle,

Stayed there last September - really nice time to go, was sunny but fresh, and Killarney national park looks incredible in Autumn.

Lovely spot to walk the dog too!

Enjoy your stay if you go, can't speak highly enough about the service in that hotel. We've gone back 3 times.

I've stayed in the ardilaun hotel galway three times with my dog. They have pet friendly rooms which open out to an enclosed garden. They provide a water bowl , dog biscuit and poop bags on arrival. Naturally they don't allow the dog in the restaurant but they let us order our food to a table in the lobby and she was able to sit with us there while we ate and had a couple drinks.

Not very helpful but.. On our way home on one of the trips we did stop at a pub someplace in galway, which I can't remember the name of and not only did they allow my dog to come in they went and got her loads of leftovers and were really sweet to her. Turned out the owner is a huge animal lover. I wish I could remember the name but I can't! But maybe Galway's a good spot for dog lovers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

There is a place in Cork Hayfield manor haven't stayed there now myself but they accept dogs.

Would ye think of camping or renting a caravan maybe. We always take out pooch camping with us, just make sure and ask before hand

Thank you guys for all your suggestions much appreciated :D

we've decided to go mid september so there may be more walks etc that can be enjoyed by the dog and us and beaches... ive emailed off a good few places just waiting to hear back

Thanks!!!

:D

Thank you guys for all your suggestions much appreciated :D

we've decided to go mid september so there may be more walks etc that can be enjoyed by the dog and us and beaches... ive emailed off a good few places just waiting to hear back

Thanks!!!

:D

I'd love to hear how you get on and hear any recommendations. Ireland's crying out for more dog-friendly leisure places of all kinds.

Some travel things I find invaluable are my screw-in tie-out stake, long lead and carabiner clips. Just in case an advertised 'secure garden' isn't so well fenced when you arrive somewhere for the first time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Kilmaneen Farmhouse B&B near Ardfinnan Co. Tipperary. I've not been before, but I'm going there this weekend with SARDA so there'll be plenty of dogs around.

http://www.kilmaneen.com/pet-friendly.html

• Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Twelve Hotel in Barna have a pet program

http://www.thetwelvehotel.ie/pet-friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Hi OP, I have stayed in a few places with my dogs (Carlow, Cork etc) but always left the dogs there when I went for food or drinks in the evening. If you want some of those suggestions, I will happily PM them to you but cant help with dog friendly pubs etc.

At the Pet Expo in the RDS this year there was a man who just set up a website called Woofadvisor.com (tripadvisor for dogs). I have never used it myself but congratulated the man because it seems like an excellent idea! You could give that a look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I've stayed in the ardilaun hotel galway three times with my dog. They have pet friendly rooms which open out to an enclosed garden. They provide a water bowl , dog biscuit and poop bags on arrival. Naturally they don't allow the dog in the restaurant but they let us order our food to a table in the lobby and she was able to sit with us there while we ate and had a couple drinks.

Not very helpful but.. On our way home on one of the trips we did stop at a pub someplace in galway, which I can't remember the name of and not only did they allow my dog to come in they went and got her loads of leftovers and were really sweet to her. Turned out the owner is a huge animal lover. I wish I could remember the name but I can't! But maybe Galway's a good spot for dog lovers?

I have lived and/or worked in Galway for the past 20 years and I never knew about this. Been to the Ardilaun many times. Fancy enough of a place so I had no ideas they welcomed dogs too.
    Now I really really want to know the name of that pub.......

Also, I presume non-dog lovers would not like to stay in Dog friendly hotels so that is probably why hotels are reluctant to do this.

eezipc wrote: »
    I have lived and/or worked in Galway for the past 20 years and I never knew about this. Been to the Ardilaun many times. Fancy enough of a place so I had no ideas they welcomed dogs too.
    Now I really really want to know the name of that pub.......

Also, I presume non-dog lovers would not like to stay in Dog friendly hotels so that is probably why hotels are reluctant to do this.

They have a limited number of dog friendly rooms, I think 4. I'm sure its the same in most places so it's not like they'd be overrun with dogs. Also its usually only one or two max per room and many have size limitations.
    I have to say the time we ate in the lobby with the dog every single person that passed us stopped to give her a rub.

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to come back on and give you an update of my first ever dog holiday…

So we booked 3 nights in Renvyle House over the bank holiday weekend… I’ve been dying to go on holidays the 3 of us for years took a lot of persuading the OH!

One word sums the whole weekend up … amazing!!

The hotel is SUPER dog friendly… our guy slept in our room (he had his own single bed thank god )… it’s on Stoney beach perfect for his morning swim… dogs allowed everywhere in the hotel expect the main dining room.. which is fine as there’s lots of lounges to eat in etc. It’s pretty affordable only cost us €70 each per night B&B – food was pretty good too! Music in the bar each evening.. dogs welcome.. the bedrooms were a little dated – but clean.. so for the price we couldn’t complain at all! Rest of the hotel was pretty nice…..

During the days we visited Kylemore Abbey… again dog friendly and a stunning location and walk with excellent cafes and visitors centres.
    On the second day we took Cody out to Inishboffin… on the ferry :) again it was great!! Lovely walks, great food and Guinness!

All is all an excellent weekend, yes we’re were blessed with the weather but going away the 3 of us really made the weekend!

My advice for anyone considering doing a dog friendly weekend / holiday – don’t wait as long as I did to do it… go for it you won’t be disappointed!
    My OH had such a good time … we’re booking another dog weekend in September in the Dunloe in Kerry!!

Some pics attached of Cody on his holidays :D

http://www.renvyle.com/?r=3726001&gclid=CPuI667Rlc0CFQpz2wodaHQJXQ

http://www.kylemoreabbey.com/

http://www.inishbofin.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

^^^^ so looks like Cody had a pretty miserable holiday huh??!?

Recently brought one of the dogs, who was recovering from cruciate replacement surgery, on a five week working holiday to Cambridge UK. (Couldnt leave him at a kennels as he was to be kept quiet for 6-8 weeks) I love my dogs to bits but the whining in the car (only stopped when sitting on my lap!!!) and having to stop regularly for walks and drinks and poo breaks when driving in hell-ish traffic across England, nearly made me want to throw him out of the car :D (also the jeep still hasnt recovered from all the hair shedding!!!)

aonb wrote: »
    ^^^^ so looks like Cody had a pretty miserable holiday huh??!?

Recently brought one of the dogs, who was recovering from cruciate replacement surgery, on a five week working holiday to Cambridge UK. (Couldnt leave him at a kennels as he was to be kept quiet for 6-8 weeks) I love my dogs to bits but the whining in the car (only stopped when sitting on my lap!!!) and having to stop regularly for walks and drinks and poo breaks when driving in hell-ish traffic across England, nearly made me want to throw him out of the car :D (also the jeep still hasnt recovered from all the hair shedding!!!)

HA HA!! we did have the fear that this would be the case with Cody... thankfully he's getting older (11 now :o) so calmer... we borrowed a jeep from a mate for the weekend so made the transportation easier.. plus its was only a 3.5 hour drive.. but still long enough! Id love to do france etc with him ..OH is like NO WAY .. Ireland yes but nothing too far due to the reasons above!

fair play to you though.. you must have the patience of a saint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

HA HA!! we did have the fear that this would be the case with Cody... thankfully he's getting older (11 now :o) so calmer... we borrowed a jeep from a mate for the weekend so made the transportation easier.. plus its was only a 3.5 hour drive.. but still long enough! Id love to do france etc with him ..OH is like NO WAY .. Ireland yes but nothing too far due to the reasons above!

fair play to you though.. you must have the patience of a saint :D

Nope, just didnt have a choice!!

Is there anything worse than that continuous low-level-whine/cry that they make! Stops INSTANTLY when they get onto your lap - total blackmail!

Cody is a very handsome boy - where as my poor old cross terrier is pretty unattractive (:o) - reckon going on holidays with a dog that is good looking/pretty/handsome might be an advantage - for strangers etc!

I have a friend who brings her huge hairy lurcher to France on the ferry for a week once/month on average. Hes such a seasoned traveller its amazing - she always seems to find a B&B/whatever where he is welcomed with open arms - but he is one of the most handsome dogs I know!!

aonb wrote: »
    Nope, just didnt have a choice!!

Is there anything worse than that continuous low-level-whine/cry that they make! Stops INSTANTLY when they get onto your lap - total blackmail!

Cody is a very handsome boy - where as my poor old cross terrier is pretty unattractive (:o) - reckon going on holidays with a dog that is good looking/pretty/handsome might be an advantage - for strangers etc!

I have a friend who brings her huge hairy lurcher to France on the ferry for a week once/month on average. Hes such a seasoned traveller its amazing - she always seems to find a B&B/whatever where he is welcomed with open arms - but he is one of the most handsome dogs I know!!

I have to say we were worried about the whinging.. Cody is a whinger – has been since he was a pup…

If I go upstairs and accidently close the door (we normally give him the run of the house) he starts a little whinging… and it will progress to a major whinge fest if I don’t come back down to let him follow me.. so we were worried if / when were out and had to leave him on the room (during the day for breakfast etc.) but he was wrecked from the swimming and walking so was so tired I think he was glad to see the back of us for 40 winks sleep. We used to sneak back down the corridors (yip like weirdos) and listen for the whinging etc. – not a peep. I think he’s used to sleeping like 20 hours a day and on this trip he was only getting 8 hours – god forbid – so he was wrecked!

Aren’t all dogs gorgeous .. I’m sure they are.. inside and out. :D:D

I’ll tell you when we were on Inishboffin a few people came over and we’re petting him etc.… and one asks how old is he.. I said 11… so she said to Cody (looked straight in his little eyes) and said “Ahh look your old.. thats why your waist is expanding – don’t worry…sure that’s allowed” I was only horrified… he’s on a diet as from today!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

It must have been the weekend for it! Myself anf OH took over dog on "holidays" this weekend. It was for one night camping, but I found the heat and keeping him cool something to constantly bear in mind. He also gets car sick, but is getting better. His trigger is roundabouts!
    What I found surprising/disconcerting is that we came across a few beaches where dogs aren't allowed at all. Maybe it's a Clare co co thing?

It must have been the weekend for it! Myself anf OH took over dog on "holidays" this weekend. It was for one night camping, but I found the heat and keeping him cool something to constantly bear in mind. He also gets car sick, but is getting better. His trigger is roundabouts!
    What I found surprising/disconcerting is that we came across a few beaches where dogs aren't allowed at all. Maybe it's a Clare co co thing?

Roundabouts are a trigger for mine too. Odd, isn't it!

As for beaches, it's sadly not confined to Clare. County councils think beaches are sterile environments where the wild mammals, fish, birds etc have no need to eliminate waste. To permit dogs onto a beach would contaminate it and cause a terrible danger to human users. :eek: Never mind that raw sewage can be pumped directly into the sea a hundred yards off the shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I don't mind (obvs) picking up after the dog but just a straight out ban seems pointless. I also noticed some of the loop walks sign posted said no dogs allowed. Again, completely understand and agree that dogs shouldn't be allowed to disturb livestock, but I would have thought that people with dogs are more likely to actually do some of these walks.

Yep - he made it from Kildare to Tralee and then the 7 gazillion roundabout around Tralee were too much for him! Luckily I was able to get him out of the car in time!

That's disappointing - we were grand where we were lots of dogs...
    heat was an issue - thankfully where we were he spent alot of the day in and out of the water plus we both had 2 litre camel packs (and portal little bowl for him) so kept him well hydrated... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Whyatt hotel in westport have pet friendly rooms
    Ardilaun in Galway also

Just wanted to update this as I just did another doggie friendly weekend bank holiday weekend...

Stayed here - http://www.harbourapartments.com/

It’s pretty cheap but excellent facilities and location. Really good dog friendly accommodation with large secure garden (a huge bonus).

Its right smack in the village of Baltimore, West cork.

Great place all pubs expect Casey’s were dog friendly and yes they all also sold food – no issues whatsoever!

Loads of great walks, 3 ferries leave from the harbour – Sherkin and cape clear def worth visit (again all dog friendly.)

http://www.baltimore.ie/lough-hyne.html

http://www.baltimore.ie/sherkin-island.html

Just in case anyone was looking at booking one away… don’t think about it… do it its great craic :D

PS no cocker was harmed in the making of the guinness photo.. a human drank it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Just wanted to update this as I just did another doggie friendly weekend bank holiday weekend...

Stayed here - http://www.harbourapartments.com/

It’s pretty cheap but excellent facilities and location. Really good dog friendly accommodation with large secure garden (a huge bonus).

Its right smack in the village of Baltimore, West cork.

Great place all pubs expect Casey’s were dog friendly and yes they all also sold food – no issues whatsoever!

Loads of great walks, 3 ferries leave from the harbour – Sherkin and cape clear def worth visit (again all dog friendly.)

http://www.baltimore.ie/lough-hyne.html

http://www.baltimore.ie/sherkin-island.html

Just in case anyone was looking at booking one away… don’t think about it… do it its great craic :D

PS no cocker was harmed in the making of the guinness photo.. a human drank it ;)

Is there a law in Ireland against dogs being where food is served? Loads of places in the UK are dog friendly

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Is there a law in Ireland against dogs being where food is served? Loads of places in the UK are dog friendly

Not as far as i know there is no law but 95% of places I've been to wont allow dogs citing "hygiene reasons".. anyway my quest to find dog friendly places here continues....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Are you interested in UK locations? I was over last month and had a ball with ours going to the pub and eating out with them. Folk were incredulous that our GSD(ish) is suppose to be muzzled in public here and she was getting compliments everywhere she went (the little fella was generally too busy trying to climb on to people's laps to worry about compliments). T'was lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dubjay

Stayed in Castlemartyr Cork. 5-Star luxurious place.really worth a trip. here is the link of Irish hotels
    http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/romy-and-me-discovering-irelands-dogfriendly-hotels-30454877.html

Advertisement