Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Removing swirls/orange peel by hand?

Options
  • 08-03-2016 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to remove swirls and orange peel by hand?

My car (black Mk6 GTi) has some light and a few heavy patches of swirls, there is also orange peel on one of the wings that was re-sprayed poorly.

I don't have a DA or other machine polisher so I'm wondering if removing these imperfections can be done by hand, or is a wet sand and machine polish the only way?

If it can be done, what are the best products to use? I'm currently using Autoglym Super Resin Polish, it gives a nice finish but I don't think it's nearly abrasive enough to do the job.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

AG SRP isn't at all abrasive, we'll, ever so slightly. It works by filling and hiding scratches, so is only a temporary appearance.
    You can remover very light swirling by hand. Orange peel requires a machine; wet sanding or there are pads available that will do a similar job as wet sanding. Either way a machine would be require to restore the appearance!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

You're a gent Curran, thanks - you've saved me hours of elbow grease!

Advertisement