Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drive lessons one or two hours

Options
  • 08-03-2016 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,

Background: I'm a 31 year old beginner. I've had a one hour lesson and 2 two hour lessons with an instructor. Once I got the basics down I started practicing with my fianc in his car in a local industrial estate. At that time I wanted to start doing one hour lessons with the instructor, but he advised against it. I felt I wasn't getting benefit from 2 hours and he was running through the edt plan without me actually getting to grips with each lesson or having a chance to practise.

The question is are people finding one hour or two hour lessons more beneficial and is taking two hour lessons more the norm? Also how long do you all leave in between your instructor lessons of you have a car you can practise in?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭candy_pants

Hi there,

I started with my current instructor with 2 hour lessons. It was good to start with as he got to know me and my driving style and could get a really good feel for what I needed to work on.

But after a couple I don't think it was necessary and financially I couldn't keep that up anyway. It's frustrating that it sounds like you're not getting the full hour actually driving though. My first provisional is from before EDT so I can't say how much of that chatter first is important or not.

In terms of how often to do lessons, I think again that depends on how often you're able to get out yourself and how much instructor time you need. Again I don't have to fulfill the set number of EDT lessons (although I easily have) but I had concentrated lessons to begin with (maybe every week/fortnight) and then spaced them out every month or so.

Ultimately there's no set way - just what you can manage/afford/feel you need etc. And EDT will make sure you're doing what you need to do anyway?

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I drove very little about 12 to 14 years ago, failed a test and let my license lapse (I didnt drive at all in those 12 years). I now have a Permit again and I am working though my EDT lessons. I have been doing a mix of 1 and 2 hours lessons roughly once a week with my instructor and driving accompanied by my husband at other times. At the end of each lesson we discuss whether the next should be 1 or 2 hours and if there is somewhere specific he wants to take me the next time. If I say I want a 1 hour lesson he will go with that but the 2 hours has been quite beneficial to get into the flow of it and keep going rather than watching the clock.

However if you are struggling at the lower end (moving off, changing gears, etc) then maybe 1 hour at a time might be good to not over tax you for too long. But I suggest that you still get out several times with your fiance several times between lessons for at least 30 mins and practise those things that you feel you are not doing well on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Redchairs

Thanks for your replies guys. I guess like you, I was feeling that two hours every week (as my instructor was suggesting) wasnt financially or practically realistic. But without knowing what the standard is I wasn't sure if he was trying to play me a bit. I think he was tbh. Think I'll start again with someone else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭candy_pants

Hi Redchairs, I wouldn't jump to say he was playing you as 2 hours when you're starting is reasonable. It's up to you and if you're not clicking with him then definitely make the move (I had more instructors than hot dinners until I found the right one!) but I wouldn't necessary do so just because of the duration of lessons. I think you mentioned you broached the subject with him? What was he like about it?

Advertisement