Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 years NCT for car under 10 years old.

Options
  • 07-03-2016 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    maybe somebody here could clarify the issue regarding NCT on cars under 10 years old.

I imported a car from the UK on 22nd Februaury. The car was first registered in the UK on 30th May 2006. It passed it's NCT today and the cert is valid until 21st February 2017. I was expecting to get a "two year" cert on the basis that the car is less than 10 years old.

I rang the NCT customer service section and they said that a 2006 car imported in 2016 is considered to be 10 years old regardless of it's date of first registration in it's country of origin. Seemingly, even if an imported car was first registered in December 2006, it would still only get 1 years test if submitted now for NCT.

I thought this didnt sound quite right but the lady I spoke to me assured me that this was the case.

Can anyone offer any explanation about how they arrive at that conclusion.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Even if it was a Irish car, it has to be 90 days before registration date (renewal date) to get the two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Hi,
    maybe somebody here could clarify the issue regarding NCT on cars under 10 years old.

I imported a car from the UK on 22nd Februaury. The car was first registered in the UK on 30th May 2006. It passed it's NCT today and the cert is valid until 21st February 2017. I was expecting to get a "two year" cert on the basis that the car is less than 10 years old.

I rang the NCT customer service section and they said that a 2006 car imported in 2016 is considered to be 10 years old regardless of it's date of first registration in it's country of origin. Seemingly, even if an imported car was first registered in December 2006, it would still only get 1 years test if submitted now for NCT.

I thought this didnt sound quite right but the lady I spoke to me assured me that this was the case.

Thanks.

I done my 2006 2½ months early and only got year also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Senna wrote: »
    Even if it was a Irish car, it has to be 90 days before registration date (renewal date) to get the two years.

If that was the case then the expiry should be May 2017, not Feb when the OP presented it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I done my 2006 2½ months early and only got year also.

Yep 2.5 months is less than 90 days so you'll only qualify for a 1 year cert.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If that was the case then the expiry should be May 2017, not Feb when the OP presented it.

It must go by registration date in Ireland then.
    So it's 90 days beforehand which means a 10 year old import can never get the 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

It must go by registration date in Ireland then.
    So it's 90 days beforehand which means a 10 year old import can never get the 2 years

Yes, she said that if it was an Irish car it would have needed to have been tested more than ninety days out in order to get the 2 years, so it would need to have been tested in January/February.

However imported cars are dealt with by reference to their date of Irish registration so no 2006 import will qualify for 2 years test. On that basis a car first registered in the UK in December 2006 is treated as being over 10 years old for NCT purposes in January 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

unfit2006 wrote:

It's because the government are out to protect and benefit themselves, more tests mean more revenue. I also can't believe we still have to pay VRT import duties when no other country in the EU has the same rules or extortionate prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It has to be within 90 days of the renewal, not before. If you test it earlier, it's considered a voluntary early test and the cert is only issued for 1 or 2 years from the date of testing, depending on which is applicable.

A car imported from anywhere outside of Ireland is considered to have been first registered on January 1st of the year it was imported.
    simdan wrote: »
    It's because the government are out to protect and benefit themselves, more tests mean more revenue. I also can't believe we still have to pay VRT import duties when no other country in the EU has the same rules or extortionate prices.

The NCTS may make money out of it, but the government will have tendered the process in its entirety for a number of years at a time.

We pay "extortionate" VRT as a form of protectionism for the motor industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Yes, she said that if it was an Irish car it would have needed to have been tested more than ninety days out in order to get the 2 years, so it would need to have been tested in January/February.

However imported cars are dealt with by reference to their date of Irish registration so no 2006 import will qualify for 2 years test. On that basis a car first registered in the UK in December 2006 is treated as being over 10 years old for NCT purposes in January 2006.

Theoretically speaking, a December 2006 car.

Registered, first NCT gets valid until March 2017. But then you present the car for an early test, before it turns 10, in September...

Would you get 2-year NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

That sounds feasable. I wonder how that would go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Check your facts, check out Denmark. I think you'll find they charge significantly more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

grogi wrote: »
    Theoretically speaking, a December 2006 car.

Registered, first NCT gets valid until March 2017. But then you present the car for an early test, before it turns 10, in September...

Would you get 2-year NCT?

No, for the reason I posted above. >90 days before due date = voluntary early test and only a 1 year cert from the date of testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

hognef wrote:
    Check your facts, check out Denmark. I think you'll find they charge significantly more.

Ok, another country charging extortionate duties. Do you think that VRT is acceptable in Ireland?

sdanseo wrote: »
    No, for the reason I posted above. >90 days before due date = voluntary early test and only a 1 year cert from the date of testing.

I wanted to ask for an voluntary early test indeed, just messed up the month-math. But I guess it will not get 2-year extension anyway, as it is treated as registered on the 1st January :)

Ok, another country charging extortionate duties. Do you think that VRT is acceptable in Ireland?

The Netherlands have it as well (BPM). It's CO2 based, but it also has "the diesel surcharge". Look at that, website is also in English: http://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/wcm/connect/bldcontenten/belastingdienst/individuals/cars/bpm/calculate_and_pay_bpm/bpm_tariff/bpm_tariff_passenger_car

As long as it is fair and rules are transparent (obviously they are not) - it's ok. I dislike annual motortax much more...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Hi,

Thanks.

OP you are correct in saying that your car should get 2 years test, as a the date test became due (day you registered it in Ireland) car was less than 10 years old.

Law is very clear about that.

If NCT are refusing to issue you 2 years cert, sue them and with any reasonable lawyer you are going to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think it's acceptable anyway, it's a tax, who doesn't like taxes.
    A lot of people compare Ireland to the likes of the U.K. Yes you can buy cars cheaper over there, and their annual tax on cars is often less than here but every country taxes their citizens differently, Denmark is a good example where you can pay 120% taxes on top of the cost of a new car so the car ends up being twice as much to buy as here. They put that money into public services like their public transport system. The U.K. charge council tax, which we don't have here.
    Norway is nearly as bad, with two registration taxes, one in weight and another in the power of the car, you could spend the price of the car again on tax.
    Finland has a 24% registration tax on new and imported cars.
    Austria has a registration tax on new and imported cars.
    Portugal has a registration tax on new and imported cars called ISF which is way higher than VRT.
    The Irish government spend a staggering amount of money on social welfare for example, this is just the way it treats its citizens - rightly or wrongly, it costs a fortune. We don't spend taxes the exact same as any given country and we don't gather them the exact same either.
    We aren't the only country to have a registration tax. It's not a uniquely Irish thing. But like water charges it's a great one to have a moan about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

sdanseo wrote: »

We pay "extortionate" VRT as a form of protectionism for the motor industry.

Apologies for the OT post but I had to make this point. We pay VRT as a form of revenue for the country, just like every other tax.

Your throwaway statement regarding protectionism doesn't really add up.

Ok if VRT was abolished in the morning it would have a pretty disastrous effect on the motor industry mainly due to wiping out huge percentage of value on secondhand stocks. But the value of secondhand stock is primarily dictated by factors outside of the control of most of the motor industry. New car prices (including VRT, incidentally it is worth noting that pre tax prices of new cars in Ireland are amongst the lowest in Europe so you can't accuse the manufacturers of cashing in at the expense of Irish motorists), supply vs demand and other factors like Sterling exchange rate and VRT charges on secondhand cars are the main drivers of secondhand values. Just like many other businesses in other sectors the average operator in the Irish motor industry simply reacts to external factors rather than dictates them.

With this in mind a better way to think of it is to visualise the situation if VRT had never existed in the first place in which case everything in the motor industry would be pretty much as it is currently except with adjusted (lower) values for new cars, secondhand cars and trade ins. And of course not forgetting the necessity for a higher tax in some other area to compensate for the loss in revenue.

CiniO wrote: »
    OP you are correct in saying that your car should get 2 years test, as a the date test became due (day you registered it in Ireland) car was less than 10 years old.

Law is very clear about that.

If NCT are refusing to issue you 2 years cert, sue them and with any reasonable lawyer you are going to win.

The op was never going to get 2 years nct, he would have to do it 90 days before first registration, if he was using the UK registration, it still wasn't 90 days previous to that date.

As for the law being very clear, what anniversary date is used in the law, if it's first registration date in Ireland, then he has no case either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think it's acceptable anyway, it's a tax, who doesn't like taxes.
    A lot of people compare Ireland to the likes of the U.K. Yes you can buy cars cheaper over there, and their annual tax on cars is often less than here but every country taxes their citizens differently, Denmark is a good example where you can pay 120% taxes on top of the cost of a new car so the car ends up being twice as much to buy as here. They put that money into public services like their public transport system. The U.K. charge council tax, which we don't have here.
    Norway is nearly as bad, with two registration taxes, one in weight and another in the power of the car, you could spend the price of the car again on tax.
    Finland has a 24% registration tax on new and imported cars.
    Austria has a registration tax on new and imported cars.
    Portugal has a registration tax on new and imported cars called ISF which is way higher than VRT.
    The Irish government spend a staggering amount of money on social welfare for example, this is just the way it treats its citizens - rightly or wrongly, it costs a fortune. We don't spend taxes the exact same as any given country and we don't gather them the exact same either.
    We aren't the only country to have a registration tax. It's not a uniquely Irish thing. But like water charges it's a great one to have a moan about.
    We do now since the local property tax was introduced.

• Advertisement

Fair point. Council tax is €1200-1700 a year though.
    Most Irish houses paying less than €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Fair point. Council tax is €1200-1700 a year though.

True but it pays for bins, health, police etc. Road tax is low over there and free on very low emmision vehicles.

Zactky the point I was making earlier.

Advertisement