Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curtain alterations

Options
  • 07-03-2016 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭

I have a curtain dilemma and looking for advice. It's for a bay window with a rail and a pelmet. It's a old house and if I removed the pelmet I'd have to call in a plasterer and replacing the rail is damn expensive - so I'm sticking with what I have. It's a 90in drop and the window is 100ins wide.
    The existing curtains are 2 pairs of 90x90 which I joined together and they were fine. Time for a change now but everything decent in the shops are only available with eyelet tops.
    I'm handy enough with the sewing machine and was thinking of buying eyelets and sewing pencil pleat tape on them. The rings will be hidden by the pelmet so I think I'd get away with it. Am I nuts or could it work ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,291 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No I don't think that will work. The rings will hold the fabric rigid at intervals and they will not fall properly.

The only thing I can suggest, if you are quite sure you cannot find pleated top curtains (I got some in Hickeys/Home Focus that I am planning to put eyelets onto!) is snip out the rings - which will leave you with a lot of holes, stitch a strip of matching or contrast fabric (about the same weight as the curtains) across the top like a wide braid, then sew the pleat tape on the back. If you are going to sew two curtains together for each side, when you open the side seam you could possibly cut a strip from the side of each curtain and use it at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks a million Looksee, I thought the rings might cause a problem alright. It would be easier if I could even get longer curtains and cut the top off completely but that length is not easy to find. I think I'll keep looking and try Hickeys tomorrow. Failing that I reckon your idea of cutting out the rings and take it from there. Thanks again for your help

Advertisement