Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car transporter, which document?

Options
  • 07-03-2016 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am about to buy a car transporter, something plate like a brian James or something like that.
    I have the license and all.

I am wondering which document I should be provided with the trailer for a second end purchase.

Is there a log book like on a car ? does the trailer have their own registration plate ?
    what else ?

Thanks ks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Trailer needs the number plate of the vehicle that's pulling it on rear.

Never heard of its own log book, there will most likely be a chassis number of sorts for security and maybe an identification plate with weight/max towing weight etc etc

Your insurance would most likely need to be told as they normally only cover towing minor trailer's, car transporter will most likely have an added cost of every trip or one time upgrade to your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

superfly35 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am about to buy a car transporter, something plate like a brian James or something like that.
    I have the license and all.

I am wondering which document I should be provided with the trailer for a second end purchase.

Is there a log book like on a car ? does the trailer have their own registration plate ?
    what else ?

Thanks for the help.

Does the seller have any proof of ownership, e.g invoice / reciept ?

There are a lot of stolen trailers out there...make sure you dont end up with one of them.

WestWood Trailer, Naas, Co. Kildare have an online check ...
    http://www.westwoodtrailers.com/frequently-asked-questions/trailer-registration/

The Equipment Register (TER) is UK-based but covers Irish based trailer and machinery too ...

https://www.ter-europe.org/content/our-services

Also, make sure you get an invoice for it when you purchase...and have a witness with you to sign it too (when you hand over the cash / cheque)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭superfly35

That is exactly what I don't want a stolen trailer.

So if the owner has no invoice or receipt, and there is no particular information on the database, shall I get it or still be suspicious ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

It's a tricky situation as there are a lot of genuine trailers out there without paperwork too. My 12x6 came with no documentation, but I know it's genuine as I bought it from the original owner (know it from new).

But there are a lot of stolen ones too.

Buying from a dealer like West Wood, Peter Hosey, PKS in Roscommon or Byrne's in Bunclody, will give you peace of mind. Otherwise be watchful buying private

If it were me, I'd be asking as many questions as possible to get a feel for the seller. Check does the story fit the person, does he insist on meeting you in a shady spot? Is the trailer a bit too cheap? Does it have it's manufacturer vin plate? Any signs of damage on the hitch head lock?

Buyer beware as there no comeback and no sympathy from Gardai for stolen goods.

I will definitely only buy a trailer from a manufacturer like Brian James, I have no interest in home made trailer.
    So I only look for trailer plated with VIN number and I guess it will avoid problem.

• Advertisement

Not talking about home-made trailers, avoid them altogether. Talking about buying from a dealer vs buying privately, like a car. Buying from a dealer means it's traceable and not stolen. Buying private means it's anybody's guess

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Not talking about home-made trailers, avoid them altogether. Talking about buying from a dealer vs buying privately, like a car. Buying from a dealer means it's traceable and not stolen. Buying private means it's anybody's guess

There is something I don't really follow, you say buying privately is anybody's guess. But the dealer will have the same guess to do.

I meand if the story checked out and the number do not come up with a stolen one then there is no reason for it to be stollen.

All the car trailer I am looking at are Brian James, 2 axles, tilt if possible and winch, they all are about between 2000-3000 euro depending on age and condition.

A proper dealer, like those I mentioned will most likely be taking a trade in of a trailer they sold new. Therefore it's on the database, and is traceable as a genuine trailer, and not stolen. These guys will generally not take in a trailer unless they can verify that it's 100% clean. It's their livelihood and reputation at stake. Unlike Johnny down the road who sells a few in the side

Advertisement