Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Deactivated gun from the UK?

Options
  • 07-03-2016 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi folks wondering if anyone could give me a hand with this. I'm thinking of purchasing an old spec deactivated WW1 era Mauser rifle from a seller in the UK and I'm wondering about what all is required to A: have it shipped here and B: own it legally.

I wrote to the Gardai and got a reply saying I'd first need authorisation from the Dept. of Justice to bring it in to the country and then apply for a letter of permission from my local super. Does this mean that I could potentially pay for the gun, go through the trouble of bringing it here and then be denied permission to keep it! Or is there a way to get permission for it all at once?

Also not sure what they mean by "authorisation" to bring it to Ireland. I looked on the Dept. of Justice website and they mentioned import licenses, but those seem mainly aimed at firearms dealers rather than individuals. Would it maybe be better (or even possible) to have an Irish firearms dealer import it from the UK seller on my behalf?

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭schaffer1969

From the Dept of Justice web site it looks like antique guns need licences where as deactivated weapons need the Gardai to validate it cannot be activated again and fired.

From the website
    "Deactivated/defective firearms, not capable of being fired, may be kept on the written authorisation of the local superintendent. The superintendent must be satisfied that the firearm is actually permanently deactivated and may request certification of same from a recognised proof house and have the firearm examined by a suitably qualified member of An Garda Síochána. Ballistics Section in Garda H.Q. may also be contacted to offer any further assistance if required. The serial number on a deactivated firearm should always be maintained for identification purposes. "

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/FAQ

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kuilis

Thanks I saw that. Unforunately it doesn't seem to say anything about the "authorisation" required to bring it in to Ireland if it's bought from an international seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

You need an article 7 authorisation to bring it into the country. You can get it at a Garda station or the Dept of Justice.

Your problem starts when it arrives at your door and you don't have a permission letter from your local Super.

I would get photos of the gun showing the deactivation and serial number before it is send over. You need the serial number anyway for the article 7. Go with the photos and serial number to the local Super and explain to him/her why you want a deactivated weapon. Usually collectors will get the permission. Once you have the letter arrange to get the firearm over by sending a copy of the article 7 to the dealer in the UK and ask him/her to attach it to the parcel or include it with the firearm inside the parcel.

When the firearm arrives contact your local firearms officer immediately so he/she can come out and make sure the deact has been carried out to their satisfaction. Be aware that they may require you to provide a secure location for any deacts you own, that may include a gun save and house alarm but that depends on your local firearms officer.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kuilis

Thanks a lot! Glad I finally found out what that authorisation is. That sounds like solid advice on how to go about the whole thing so I'll try like you suggested. Hopefully everything will go smoothly. Cheers!

Advertisement