Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suggestions..

Options
  • 07-03-2016 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

I want to get a car this year. Have full license about 8 years but have relied on public transport for the last few.
    Would mainly use this car for weekend motorway and national road cross country driving (almost every weekend, 14000Km pa or more). The occasional city centre trip but not for commuting to work (driving in traffic sends my blood pressure through the roof).
    So I want something sturdy on the road but pleasurable to drive and comfortable. The budget for the car is €10K, maybe up to €15K.
    I've been looking at the likes of an 09/10 Insignia or A4. Haven't test driven any (though I drove an 08 A4, auto 2L diesel a few times and loved it).
    I'm just not sure about running costs or if there's something else that im overlooking? Insurance is about €1500. Any other recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you like the A4 then to be honest, you would get a nice one for €15k. Another possibility is the VW CC. A bit more adventurous than the A4 and usually has a higher level of equipment.

Pleasurable to drive is a relative term. The A4 is sturdy on the road and quiet, which in itself is nice, but it's not a drivers car by any stretch. That said, if you're doing motorway driving, you're not going to be exploring the handling limits either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you like the A4 then to be honest, you would get a nice one for €15k. Another possibility is the VW CC. A bit more adventurous than the A4 and usually has a higher level of equipment.

Pleasurable to drive is a relative term. The A4 is sturdy on the road and quiet, which in itself is nice, but it's not a drivers car by any stretch. That said, if you're doing motorway driving, you're not going to be exploring the handling limits either way.

Thanks, though there aren't any VW CCs on carzone for less than €20K, were they new in 2012? doesn't look appealing either! I'd take one over a pasat or exeo though.

With the A4 are there any common issues with them as they age? Anything to be warey of?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They were originally called the Passat cc, they're out since at least 09
    They're sort of the opposite of the a4 in a way despite being basically the same idea. The cc is very nice for a VW and the a4 is a bit meh for an Audi. Well the a4s that we to to get around here anyway. Most have very basic trim and spec.
    If you fall in love with the looks of the Audi then none of this really matters!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Called the Passat CC from 2008 to early 2012, they got a makeover in mid 2012 and were just called the CC from then on.

Advertisement