Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray painting plastic problem

Options
  • 07-03-2016 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

i am trying to spray paint some small plastic animals but the paint isn't sticking properly, I think. It's sticking to the animals but they stay sticky even after a week drying. I have tried a few different things to get it to work. I have washed them off with white spirits so I could put a primer on first but now the paint is running off even when the primer is on them. Has anyone done something similar before or know what I can do to fix it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Dramatik

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    i am trying to spray paint some small plastic animals but the paint isn't sticking properly, I think. It's sticking to the animals but they stay sticky even after a week drying. I have tried a few different things to get it to work. I have washed them off with white spirits so I could put a primer on first but now the paint is running off even when the primer is on them. Has anyone done something similar before or know what I can do to fix it

It depends really on the type of plastic, as plastic isn't really a porous material so the paint can't really seep into it. I know that if it's that plastic with a really shiney finish that spraypaint will have a hard time sticking to it. One solution is to sand the object to create scratches in it so that the paint can better adhere to the object but I'm not sure if that's a viable option in your case. It's also possible that the object you are trying to paint already has a protective finish on it which would also hinder the paint, I know for instance when people custom paint shoes with paint they use acitone (nail polish remover) to remove the protective layer first. It is also possible that you've put the paint on too thick, with spraypaint it is best to do very light layers with plenty of drying time between them. It's also very important with spraypaint to shake it vigorously before application, at least 30 sec, to insure the paint is mixed well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 paric

You could try Humbrol Rail Paints, or plain acrylic with maybe a bit of medium added

Advertisement