Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden after winter

Options
  • 07-03-2016 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

What can I do with the back garden after the winter? Its a rented house. so I don't want to spend much money

2016-03-07-1681.jpg

This was before winter.

2015-08-06-1557.jpg

2015-08-06-1558.jpg

I have two dogs that use the garden

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Leave it. If you try sowing new lawn, the dogs will tear it up. No need to feed a lawn tbh; grass is the most successful plant on Earth and doesn't need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

If you can keep the dogs off the mud, the grass will probably recover

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

I'd put down a lawn weed killer to get rid of those unsightly weeds.

It's not quite clear which direction the garden is facing, but if it doesn't get a lot of sun, a lawn feed will help. Lawn feed will also help to give a richer shade of green.

As regards reseeding, it's up to you to decide if it's worthwhile with the dogs, but it's probably worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

Slasher wrote: »
    I'd put down a lawn weed killer to get rid of those unsightly weeds.

It's not quite clear which direction the garden is facing, but if it doesn't get a lot of sun, a lawn feed will help. Lawn feed will also help to give a richer shade of green.

As regards reseeding, it's up to you to decide if it's worthwhile with the dogs, but it's probably worth trying.
    I tried laying seeds last year but one of the dogs kept ruining the garden. It doesn't really get much sun. back of the house.

No drainage at all. I can't go digging the footpath up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Throw down a strip of fake grass in the well used area, back to the wall.

or fence off the muddy area, prevent dogs etc from going on in, let it recover for a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

If you want to return it to grass, you could lightly rake the surface, sow the seed and cover it with a sheet of clear plastic/glass - keeping the cover about an inch or two off the ground. This should keep the dogs off it while the grass grows but they might just tear it up when the grass is regrown.
    Certain supermarkets sell bark mulch at a cheap price, so you could incorporate that muddy patch into a pathway to the shed - but that will bring its own issues. Those same supermarkets also sell cheap decking tiles, which you could use to cover the area or even use as a deck (which you could take with you when leaving/moving)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

you could try Roll Out grass. B&Q have it sometimes, but not all the time.

http://www.diy.com/search/results/?question=roll+out+lawn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I have the same problem most march and it always recovers. I rake and reseed and I put down wire mesh over the worst areas which works a treat. by may it always looks grand again.

Advertisement