Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to verify engine & chassis number

Options
  • 07-03-2016 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi - need some help from folks here, the story is that we bought a car (Used) from a private seller and paid cash, the seller sent it off to the tax office for change of ownership.
    Now the Motor tax office sent it back to the owners address due to lack of some detail - that original address is not the current address of the seller and they have moved out of Ireland to UK - so that is now lost.
    The motor office has given us a list of things to do to be able to obtain a duplicate reg cert - one of them being getting the engine and the chassis number validated from a vehicle testing centre or something like that.
    Can anyone tell me how to get this done as the car is just sitting there and cannot be used unless this is done.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They used to allow you to get a main dealer to verify it. That would be the most straightforward way if they still allow that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A main dealer for the car in question will be able to do it. Is there a possibility the car is stolen and cloned?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

No - its not stolen (or cloned), I have had a Garda check done on it, only one owner from new

• Registered Users Posts: 81,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Debub wrote: »
    No - its not stolen (or cloned), I have had a Garda check done on it, only one owner from new

But did you check that the chassis and engine numbers are not modified or altered on the car itself? The original car you clown from will show up fine.

Advertisement