Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightwaverf system - and zoned heating controls

Options
  • 07-03-2016 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Note - this is a copy of a thread I posted in the plumbing section, thought it might be better suited to here, so if the mods want to delete the other no problem.

Hi Folks,

Would anyone be able to give me an idea how this would work?

We currently have a 3 zone control in the hallway, upstairs, downstairs and hot water.

There is a wired analogue thermostat for both heating zones and a tank stat for the hot water. There is a motorised valve for each of the zones, easily accessible, and i assume controlled by the thermostats.

I like the idea of wifi and app controls so we can remotely turn on the heating, which we can't do at the moment.

What would I need from the Lightwaverf system to allow remote control of the heating controls and any idea if it would be difficult to install?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I did it by adding 2 motorized valves to my heating system, one for radiators, one for cylinder.

I got 2 LWRF relays. One relay for each valve. I setup a room called utility room in the app, and put the first relays as Heating, the second as Hot water.

I have the hot water item I programmed into the app to switch the valve that does the cylinder, and also has a cylinder stat in series with the motorized valve.

And the heating item I programmed in the app, I set to do both the cylinder and rad motorized valves.

Both valves have their electrical contacts in parallel and they close the control loop of the boiler.

If your motorized valves are properly wired to bring on the boiler when any zone valve opens, it should be easy enough to setup.

Any timer on the system now?

I have no timer in the setup. The app can have any amount of timers setup in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

Thanks Bruthal,

At the moment the system is rock solid, as far as i can tell. We have a three zone timer / control unit and can call the boiler on with any of the zones individually. Three programmes per day can be timed in manually. Three seperate motorised valves, one for each zone, each controlled by an analogue thermostat, upstairs zone in main bedroom, downstairs in kitchen/living room and hot water on tank.

I would like the option of remotely controlling the heating, and the lightwaverf seems to be a reaonably good option.

If there are other / better option then let me know.

Well I am using the LWRF a couple of years now, without any problems.

You could put the 3 relays in, each one switching in parallel with the existing timer zones if you want to keep the existing timer. As I was saying, I took the timer out of the equation.

The system has no indication that items switched on, so I put in the watt meter available for the system, and so can see when the heating has come on. I have some lights on it as well, and plug in items.

I have not tried any other systems.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ive been using it too, happy enough with it, I had X10 before.

this about this is that the relays are very cheap.

They have a three output relay (3x1000W max) for about €30.

I'm only turing on and off my heating, I have three TVRs that I need to send back to them for firmware upgrade, their help forum is good.

I have TVRs on the three biggest rads in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Bruthal wrote: »
    The system has no indication that items switched on, so I put in the watt meter available for the system, and so can see when the heating has come on.

Always found that one of the biggest drawbacks. The new heating controls do incorporate some level of feedback in that they relay the current temperature at their location to the app.

• Advertisement

lgk wrote: »
    Always found that one of the biggest drawbacks. The new heating controls do incorporate some level of feedback in that they relay the current temperature at their location to the app.

I dont find it too bad. The wattmeter does a good enough job that I know the heating etc has come on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bruthal wrote:
    I dont find it too bad. The wattmeter does a good enough job that I know the heating etc has come on

The feedback from the stat is instant.

I can work out from it if the heating is cooling or ramping up to the desired temp.

If I want it off I simply dial it down to 15 degrees , I then get a constant feedback for example the room would be st 18 degrees, dropping and next change is 15 degrees

If I want it on I can dial it up.

Replicating the boost button would be great, I've requested it. It's about 30 minutes of coding for them don't know why they don't do it.

The TVRs are up to date too.

I'd say the TRVs are handy devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

Bruthal wrote: »
    You could put the 3 relays in, each one switching in parallel with the existing timer zones if you want to keep the existing timer.

Is this easy to do?

I would like to have remote control of the heating but would like to keep the existing timer as it does work really well and is very simple and intuitive to operate.

I currently have 3 zones, Up, Down and Hot Water and would use the boost function frequently.

Looking at moving into the lightwaverf fold so starting from scratch.

Bruthal

Lightwaverfs have a single unit with 3 outputs on it.

3KW total load

So if you are only using the 220v for on off control and if everything is local, would this be an option ? It's only a little bit more expensive than a single relay but you get three outputs from it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement