Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swallows breeding season

Options
  • 07-03-2016 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

was woke up this morning by swallows who have a nest right outside our bedroom window! we're in rented accommodation, we moved in last June and stayed in a different room last year until they left as opposed to knocking the nest, i meant to knock it before they came back but with different things going on didn't get around to it! can anyone advise how long the breeding season lasts and if their is any way of deterring them from this area as both my partner and i are very light sleepers and would prefer to stay in this room as its all set-up now! anywhere else around the house would be fine, there is already a lot of nests around the house and shed too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Are you sure it's Swallows, as it very early for them to be here let alone nesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I would have thought it's far too early to be Swallows, and it sounds like it's House Martins that were the problem last year not Swallows. Perhaps it's Starlings - they aren't fussy about when to start breeding and they are noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Agreed, about this sounding like a house martins nest. And, yes; Swallows being here at this time of year would practically be a first.

I say that because ~ since we're talking about swallows: My mate had one stay with its nest. All through the winter! :eek: For what ever reason, it simply didn't migrate. It just remained, roosting at its nest.

I was baffled. Anyone else heard of this before? He said it went off to feed, in the day. Came back to its nest for the night. I noticed midges in the air and even saw a flying bat, in December, last year. So, I imagine it must have found food. Maybe the lack of competition helped?

Anyway, assuming it is a house martins nest? Might it not be sparrows taking it over? They're known for that. Potentially early nesters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

thanks for the reply everyone

to be honest i didn't see the swallows this morning, only heard them and assumed that it was swallows because they were here last year, my mistake

do ye think it would be possible to dispatch the nest or would they have already started breeding? if they have i'll leave them be

Loathe as I am to say it, you can legally remove the nest right now if it is not in use.

• Advertisement

Loathe as I am to say it, you can legally remove the nest right now if it is not in use.

had a look this evening when i got back and saw a bird flying into the nest, was getting dark so couldn't quiet make out what it was, think it might have being a house martin or maybe a willy wag tail. either way i'll leave it be as its in use

thanks for your replies

Can't be House Martins yet. That won't be until May.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I would have thought it's far too early to be Swallows, and it sounds like it's House Martins that were the problem last year not Swallows. Perhaps it's Starlings - they aren't fussy about when to start breeding and they are noisy.

your right, it's Starlings, saw one fly into a small gap in the fascia

any idea on when it starts the breeding process and when the chicks will leave the nest, then i'll look to seal the gap?

after looking online it says that they lay eggs in mid-April

Breeding Starts mid-April

Number of Clutches 2

Number of Eggs. 4-9

Incubation (days) 12-15

Fledge (days). 20-22

So basically, once they start they will be there for over 2 months.

They could still be just preparing and investigating potential sites, as it's a little early for laying..

Breeding Starts mid-April

Number of Clutches 2

Number of Eggs. 4-9

Incubation (days) 12-15

Fledge (days). 20-22

So basically, once they start they will be there for over 2 months.

They could still be just preparing and investigating potential sites, as it's a little early for laying..

many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I'd love to have Swallows nest outside my window although they can be a bit messy

Advertisement