Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic commercial insurance

Options
  • 07-03-2016 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi Folks.

Just wondering does anyone here have a 15+yo commercial on vintage cover at the minute and if they do what company is it with.

Im struggling to get cover for my 99 van without paying silly money and I know some places were doing classic cover for 15+ years.
    Ive tried FBD but they have changed to 20 years as have Campions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers..

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

You wouldn,t call a 17 year old vehicle a vintage vehicle, surely.

Trying to pull the wool over the insurance companies eyes on this one ,

is what puts all classic owners in the bad books. It makes us all look like rogues,

which we are not.

If you are using the vehicle for commercial, then its a commercial policy, not a vintage.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

kadman wrote: »
    You wouldn,t call a 17 year old vehicle a vintage vehicle, surely.

Trying to pull the wool over the insurance companies eyes on this one ,

is what puts all classic owners in the bad books. It makes us all look like rogues,

which we are not.

If you are using the vehicle for commercial, then its a commercial policy, not a vintage.

Im not suggesting it is a vintage vehicle. Not by mine or anyone elses standards. That is not to say that vehicles of 15years and older were not considered eligible for classic policies by insurance companies up until recently and my question was in relation to this.

If the vehicle fits the requirements of the insurance companies re. age, restricted mileage, AND USE, then there is nobody being a rouge here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

you won't get classic insurance for anything other than SDP. No a chance of getting commercial insurance at classic rates, they weren't born yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Insurance seem to be scrutinising classic policies more and more these days.
    A 2001 VW Caddy may not get classic insurance for a new client, but if some one with a history of classic car ownership went in with something like a 2001 Nissan Escargot they might have a chance.

1989-nissan-escargot-a.jpg

I have had several classics and still have my 3l capri mothballed until I get a chance to figure out how a 4barrel holley works.

Unfortunately its been off the road a while so I probably don't have much of an existing record of holding insurance.

Im probably going to get beat on this one but I thought it was worth asking considering the van isn't actually used for commercial purposes.

Looks like insurance on older stuff is becoming a big problem.
    Even got refused quotes on my 05 daily driver because its too old the other day..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

ah that's not quite the same as you first said. They will assume it is used for commercial purposes though I imagine.

Im pretty sure there are many people out there who have vans as runarounds or a second vehicle but not actually using them for business purposes.

I probably should have clarified that by commercial I meant van as opposed to looking to insure an older vehicle for work on the cheap.

When I went looking for information I never actually stated what I was trying to insure but just enquired what the requirements were to qualify for such policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

I run a 1991 Hi-Lux as a hack, barely do 1000 miles a year in it. It qualifies for vintage 4x4 insurance with FBD on a group scheme through the Irish vintage society. It's only 150 a year to insure it. Haven't seen this years quote yet though!

If I had a mad busy summer my yoke might do 3000 miles. Looks rough as but flies the doe every time.
    its been classed as a moody teenager by insurance companies now thou.

"its just a bad age" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

I have a MK1 VW Caddy pickup which I only use over the summer months and it's never used for work purposes, only to carry my bikes.

I have tried a few times to get classic insurance but no joy as they all say they don't give classic insurance on commercials.

• Advertisement
Advertisement