Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lottery Fairs/Markets

Options
  • 07-03-2016 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi There!

Firstly, this is not a rant thread.

That said, I am wondering what everyone thinks of lottery type craft fairs and markets? By lottery, I mean, where you apply and wait to see if you will get picked!

I have twice applied to a market, only to be turned down the same amount of times. I have also applied to another only to be turned down for that too.

The word 'unfortunately' has come up three times in three emails within the space of a couple of weeks. I almost feel like an author trying to sell my book to a publishing company and getting these rejection slips!

The last thing i need to see is these negative responses. I got disheartened when I saw those emails and started to question my ability as a creative!

I don't feel like entering into these 'lottery' fairs and markets anymore. It does not do the soul any good!

I would like to know your thoughts on this. Have you kept applying and eventually got in or did you give up after the first 'unfortunately' email?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 paric

Hi
    just wondering what kind of fairs and where they are that would offer a lottery type application?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Marle Meza

paric wrote: »
    Hi
    just wondering what kind of fairs and where they are that would offer a lottery type application?

They are in Dublin City and both are seasonal crafts and arts market/fairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

One particular craft fair I used to do, I kept getting the worst position upstairs at the very back with a very narrow pathway. My friends said they couldn't find me because they couldn't see me. The organisers told me I couldn't get a better pitch because they kept them for their regulars. I asked how does one become a regular and received no reply. I gave up after three years.

Advertisement