Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car - burning smell

Options
  • 07-03-2016 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭

I bought a new Tucson about 10 days ago. It's been running fine and very happy with it, but twice now we've gotten this awful smell of burning from the engine. First time we thought it was the car but after moving to another area the smell was gone so we put it down to someone burning rubbish or a factory etc nearby. However it happened again today and when we opened the bonnet it was definitely stronger and seemed to come from the back part (nearest the car).
    I'll ring the dealer tomorrow afternoon as soon as I can, but just wondered if this might be expected from new parts or if there'd be anything inside an engine that might give out a smell when its first used? (Almost like some kitchen appliances do!)

It's a diesel model, and it happened both times when we were driving on country/back roads rather than our normal town/motorway driving but not sure if that was coincidence. It's not there all the time and it was a week in between the two occurrences.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

sillysocks wrote: »
    I bought a new Tucson about 10 days ago. It's been running fine and very happy with it, but twice now we've gotten this awful smell of burning from the engine. First time we thought it was the car but after moving to another area the smell was gone so we put it down to someone burning rubbish or a factory etc nearby. However it happened again today and when we opened the bonnet it was definitely stronger and seemed to come from the back part (nearest the car).
    I'll ring the dealer tomorrow afternoon as soon as I can, but just wondered if this might be expected from new parts or if there'd be anything inside an engine that might give out a smell when its first used? (Almost like some kitchen appliances do!)

It's a diesel model, and it happened both times when we were driving on country/back roads rather than our normal town/motorway driving but not sure if that was coincidence. It's not there all the time and it was a week in between the two occurrences.

Thanks!

No car never mind a new one should smell of burning. Get it into the dealer first thing in case it gets worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

How many miles have you done? Possibly have experienced a couple of Regen cycles your dpf, which can occasionall
    y. Smell a but like burning rubber/sulpher/carbon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We've done about 700km so far so plenty in the less than two weeks we've had it!

Yeah that's kind of the smell it was, no like a smoke smell as such, more like burning rubber etc.

I'll definitely talk to them tomorrow and wont be doing any long journeys tomorrow. Was just curious as to whether it was something that might happen or was completely out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

We've done about 700km so far so plenty in the less than two weeks we've had it!

Yeah that's kind of the smell it was, no like a smoke smell as such, more like burning rubber etc.

I'll definitely talk to them tomorrow and wont be doing any long journeys tomorrow. Was just curious as to whether it was something that might happen or was completely out of the ordinary.
    Considering that it happened on abit of run, I'd say it's dpf related and normal.

Shipping wax remnants possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

Are you checking the oil level?, you could have a leak somewhere internally ie turbo charger, synthetic oil gives off a terrible smell when burning off,

Are you checking the oil level?, you could have a leak somewhere internally ie turbo charger, synthetic oil gives off a terrible smell when burning off,

Haven't checked anything! Wasn't expecting to need to on a 10 day old car! Will get the garage to check it over anyway.

mickdw wrote: »
    Considering that it happened on abit of run, I'd say it's dpf related and normal.

It was country roads but not long runs really, both times it was maybe only 5/10 mins after starting up. Hopefully it's something not too sinister anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Plastic bag on the exhaust somewhere

Advertisement