Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Book markers

• 06-03-2016 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

A trivial question I suppose. Just wondered how do readers mark their place in books these days. Normally I just use a scrap of paper, an envelope or whatever is handy. The book shops give them out free. Does anyone use book markers any more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Chasing Shadows

Postcards! Always buy one or two when I am on holidays and use them as bookmarks. Failing that, what ever is nearest to me. Anything but turn down the corner of the page!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I also dislike turning down pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,625 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Turning down the corner of pages is only for when desperation strikes. I feel I do enough trauma to books - spilt coffee, crumbs that get trapped forever between the pages, badly cracked book spines - without subjecting them to the further ignominy of that final insult.

It's lovely to have a fancy new bookmark to mark your place. Unfortunately I go through them like nobody's business. I'm usually reduced to grabbing whatever I can find, be it beer mat, envelope or some note of foreign currency. Whatever does the job, I guess.

Arghus wrote: »
    ...... I'm usually reduced to grabbing whatever I can find, be it beer mat, envelope or some note of foreign currency. Whatever does the job, I guess.

Don't know anyone who puts money in their books. Next time I'm in the charity shop I will search every single book from now on....:D !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I have loads of bookmarks, some freebies and some picked up over the years on holidays. My problem is I always have so many partly read books that I intend to return to so most of my bookmarks are in use or aren't to hand when I need one. I end up using an envelope, a post-it note or a piece of paper from the recycling bin. If I can't find anything I will commit the page number to memory rather than folding down the page. Even if it was a book picked up in a charity shop for a few cents somebody went to the effort of writing it and so I feel it deserves respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I've had a few nice book markers over the years. My favourite one by far was the rope/ string/handle from the cardboard boxes of Roses. It is just the right length to fit snugly in to most books and has those plastic bars at the end to prevent it falling out. And you get to eat sweets to have one!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

I have a little box where I keep my favourite greetings / thank you / birthday cards I have been sent over time and when I pick up a new book I reach in there and pull one out at random to use as a bookmark. It's always lovely to re-read the card after many years too.

twignme wrote: »
    I have a little box where I keep my favourite greetings / thank you / birthday cards I have been sent over time and when I pick up a new book I reach in there and pull one out at random to use as a bookmark. It's always lovely to re-read the card after many years too.

Aw, that's so sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

If you order a book from the Book Depository they generally include a free bookmark with it.

Unfortunately I now have 4 of the same type.

I'm always losing them though and sometimes have to resort to using an old train ticket or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Don't know anyone who puts money in their books. Next time I'm in the charity shop I will search every single book from now on....:D !!

I always thought it was common place until I was in college. I've pretty much always used a shekel since I was very young

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I've a selection of very old boarding passes and computer punch cards, both from 30/40 years ago. Also some Jokers from weird card decks. My favourite one is a thin steel one with a damsel fly (anatomically incorrect wings though) at the top which has a sprung tail so that you can bookmark two places if they're near enough to each other. As for turning down corners, no way, there's usually some ticket or biz card nearby to do the job.

Who'd have thought such a simple thing as a post about book markers would produce such interesting ideas! Any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

I still have a big pile of used bus and train tickets from when I used to not drive , lots of times I use them or free ones but have never bought a book mark altho have been tempted by the ones with the built in dictionary the majority of times tho its a receipt that gets used but only thermal ones so the ink does not mark the pages

Advertisement