Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Knocking in front somewhere

Options
  • 06-03-2016 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

knocking in front somewhere on my polo 1ltr when i drive on bumpy roads going slow theres knocking in the front i checked the axle shaft and drop links cv joints but when i drive on good roads there isnt a sound out of it any advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

How did you check those items you mentioned, visual check or with a prying tool?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kh8

Hal1 wrote: »
    How did you check those items you mentioned, visual check or with a prying tool?

shake them with my hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

arb bushings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Could be plenty. For that model of car check:
    Anti roll bar bushes
    Top shock mount
    Wishbone rear bush
    Inner & outer tie rods
    To properly check youll need the weight off the suspension so jack up both sides and pop an axle stand under the sills.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭edber2011

A knocking going slow over sharp bumps is most likely a balljoint issue.
    Raising and prying doesn't allways highlight a balljoint issue.
    If you don't feel the knock in the steering wheel then most likely a wishbone balljoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kh8

edber2011 wrote: »
    A knocking going slow over sharp bumps is most likely a balljoint issue.
    Raising and prying doesn't allways highlight a balljoint issue.
    If you don't feel the knock in the steering wheel then most likely a wishbone balljoint.

i can hear it when turning the steering wheel fast side to side

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭edber2011

Still possibly a ball joint,either the outer tierod or wishbone balljoint.
    Any balljoint that's connected to the hub needs to be checked.
    And sometimes the prybar is not good enough to diagnose this,removal of the joint is a sure way.
    Check the droplinks too.
    I had a knocking noise while going slow over bumps and I checked everything
    and all I could see that was wrong was a rubber bushing on the wishbone looked tatty.
    But it was only when I removed the wishbone that the play in the balljoint was very bad and the rubber
    bushing had nothing to do with the knocking noise.This was on a 5 series bmw.

Advertisement